Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Hi folks I'm going down to Florida in about 3 weeks from Michigan,
in the Naples area Any one know of any good rides or places to ride? I will be down there for 3 weeks.
I'm sorta planing to ride my bike from Key largo to Key west. Ma by. Any Quick suggestions. If bin riding here in Mich in the hot weather when we had it.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,779 Posts
Nothing to offer you on the route, as I'm from Georgia. Just wanted to ask if you are used to riding in humid conditions. I've never been to Michigan, so I'm not aware of the weather conditions there. Down South, it's not so much the heat that's the problem as it is the oppressive humidity. Sometimes the air seems so thick it's like breathing through a hot, wet blanket.

Hydration is extremely important and you might have to take it a bit easier than usual if you're not used to the conditions. Florida is pretty flat though, so you've got that going for you. :D Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How far are you willing to drive? North on 75 maybe 2.5 hours (?) is a town called San Antonio. Nice rolling rides in that area and the local traffic is light and understanding. Probably the best ride in the Florida Panhandle.

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
I think Clermont and Mt Dora NW of Orlando has the best riding in Florida as far as hills go, Sugarloaf mountain is over 300 ft above sea level which is rare in FL. The girlie and I are riding from Cocoa Beach to Key West in October and the "seven mile bridge" from Key Largo to Key West is gonna be the hardest stretch due to the cross and head winds. We did a 70 miler from Cocoa to Vero yesterday and it was a nice ride along A1A, wide bike path and good steep Causeways.

BTW if your coming from Michigan to ride in Florida, buy lots of sunblock, around SPF 1,000 and reapply it everytime u take a break and bring lots of water, lots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the Info I already have a good tan I spend a lot of time on the Boat already. I live on Lake Saint Clair, as for the head wind on the bridges goes Thats all that it seems like I ride in to here. I will make it a point to go over to San Antonio and do some riding there. My Wife said I can spend as much time riding as I want:D . Sort of a reword for all the House/boathouse remodeling I have bin doing all spring and summer already.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.