Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says I am looking for a steel frame with a top tube length of 51.5 to 52.5, rech between 365 and 375 that takes caliper brakes and can fit a wide rim (I have Derby carbon rims that measure 29mm external width) with room for 28-30c tires. Soma has discontinued the ES, All-City has discontinued the Mr. Pink. I like the Jamis Quest, but have not found anyone selling just a frameset and not sure it takes such a wide rim. I want this as a budget build, so no custom bike recommendations. Anyone you know willing to sell something used, or your local shop have any old stock?

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Go look on ebay. I've purchased several used Eddy Merckx frames there in pristine condition. Not what you're looking for (disc brakes ... ugh), but its worth a try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go look on ebay. I've purchased several used Eddy Merckx frames there in pristine condition. Not what you're looking for (disc brakes ... ugh), but its worth a try.
Been searching Ebay and Craiglist for a long time now. I was hoping this post would help dig up other resources.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That seems an awfully small frame. Just out of curiosity, not that it matters at all, are you a woman?
No, I am a man, but I am 5'4" with long legs (30.5" inseam/saddle height of 66.5cm) and a short torso. I currently ride a size 47cm Niner RLT 9 and a XS Giant OCRc3 and am looking to replace the Giant.

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
I don't know but it's worth checking to see if Surly has anything that fits your criteria.

Gunnar too although it sounds like they may be beyond your budget. "Only" about $1200 for frame but that doesn't include the fork.

Also look at Milwaukee Bicycle company. They make a bunch of reasonably priced steel frames but no idea if one will fit your criteria.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Went through this exact search myself, my only requirement was that it was a mid/long reach caliper frame. Ended up with a Milwaukee bicycle co road frame.. No info to report on how this went yet as the build it not complete.. Their size 50 may work for you?
Extremely disappointing that there aren't more frames out there that fit such a seemingly simple requirement...

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have seen those, it is a little big. I wish he still did his road frame with caliper brakes.
Have you seen the frame in person? The reach is right in the middle of the range you said you wanted at 370. It is a 53 tt, but a bit more slack STA than you normally see on a smaller frame.

I'm built very similarly to you (5-6, 28" inseam) and ride a frame very comfortably with similar spec (53tt, 73.5 STA) with a 100 stem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you seen the frame in person? The reach is right in the middle of the range you said you wanted at 370. It is a 53 tt, but a bit more slack STA than you normally see on a smaller frame.

I'm built very similarly to you (5-6, 28" inseam) and ride a frame very comfortably with similar spec (53tt, 73.5 STA) with a 100 stem.
I have seen them in person, but on the fit guide it lists the minimum seat height at 68cm. I run my seat height at 66.5cm, additional the standover is just too big as well at ~30.9" if my math is correct.

If I went cantilever brakes (cross frame) I would lean towards a 42cm Surly Cross Check or try and find an older Soma Double Cross canti version.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have seen them in person, but on the fit guide it lists the minimum seat height at 68cm. I run my seat height at 66.5cm, additional the standover is just too big as well at ~30.9" if my math is correct.

If I went cantilever brakes (cross frame) I would lean towards a 42cm Surly Cross Check or try and find an older Soma Double Cross canti version.
Yeah, standover height can be a bummer with most cross frames, even those with "American" BB drops. The combination of bigger tires and the need for added ground clearance puts the TT pretty high off the ground. Maybe short-sighted, but that is why I no longer pay attention to that metric. The times I am straddling my bike with both feet flat on the ground and the bike needs to be perfectly perpendicular are rare/never.

I do agree, what you looking for is rare these days, but very desirable. I'd love to not have to mess with canti/mini-V and get enough clearance for the tires I use most often (28-32).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts