Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently looking for a nice big (35c+) dry conditions tire. I have a Challenge Gravel Grinder 38C that to me has the perfect tread pattern, i.e. file tread with aggressive cornering knobs. But its not tubeless compatible and I'm worried the cornering stresses during a race will cause burping. It actually blew off my rim while inflating the first time.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Clement has a nice lineup of gravel/cross tires, some of which are tubeless compatible.

I'm currently running the 36mm MSO tubeless on my gravel bike, and it's great. Before that I was running the 3mm USH with tubes, and loved it as well. It's a bit more of a fast roller, with a fairly solid center bead, so maybe not ideal for a wet/muddy cross setup, but they have other models suited to that purpose.

Products | Clement Cycling, Cyclocross Tires, Adventure Tires, Mountain Bike Tires, Road Bike Tires

·
Registered
228 Posts
Maxxis Rambler 40mm. It's light and spins up fast. I have the 120tpi version and love them. It gets great reviews...just Google, Maxxis Rambler reviews.

Oh yes, It set up as easy as any tire I've ever installed tubeless. Which it should as it is rated tubeless ready.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Those Challenge Gravel Grinders are outstanding and the only tires I'm aware of with a very similar tread are only 33mm.
not to be a wise arse but why not just use tubes? I think those tires are good enough to compromise on the want to go tubeless but I suppose of it won't work for your body weight and desired PSI that's no go.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
Currently looking for a nice big (35c+) dry conditions tire. I have a Challenge Gravel Grinder 38C that to me has the perfect tread pattern, i.e. file tread with aggressive cornering knobs. But its not tubeless compatible and I'm worried the cornering stresses during a race will cause burping. It actually blew off my rim while inflating the first time.

Any suggestions?

When you say it blew off your rim, do you mean it did this when you tried to set it up tubeless? Or did it do this with a tube in it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm looking at panaracer gravel king sk. Seem to be light, tough , and tubeless

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blew off the rim when I was mounting it tubeless on American Classic Race wheelset. Blew up right in front of my face. Big lesson: ALWAYS wear eye protection when mounting tubeless tires, especially non-tubeless rated tires!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are amazing tires, supple/light/fast/big. Almost a perfect tire, just need to be tubeless, which will hurt the supple and light rating but the tread pattern rocks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Specialized makes a Tracer in a 38c that is very similar.
Yep, and it works great tubeless.

I can't imagine going back to tubes for cx.

EDIT: Correction, the similar file tread Specialized tire is called the TRIGGER. The Tracer has small knobbies and is basically a cx version of their Renegade mtb tire. The Tracer is a great, grippy tire, but only available as a 33c. I used to like it until moving up in tire sizes. I'm currently on a Nano 40c up front and the Trigger 38c in back... and I may try the Kenda Happy Medium 40c in back next, for it's additional size.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been extremely happy with both the Kenda Happy Medium (40) and the WTB Cross Boss (42). The Kenda seems to corner better in the dry loose conditions because of the side knobs that are closer to the edge. Both of them set up well tubeless and I've never had a burp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been extremely happy with both the Kenda Happy Medium (40) and the WTB Cross Boss (42). The Kenda seems to corner better in the dry loose conditions because of the side knobs that are closer to the edge. Both of them set up well tubeless and I've never had a burp.
I've never seen or heard of the Cross Boss in a 42mm width. I have them in 35 though and love them for dry conditions.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I race the Cross Boss in most conditions but for trail or gravel racing, I run the WTB Nano 40c and love them. Durable, very fast, tubless and pretty light. BIG volume as well.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
Maxxis Rambler 40mm. It's light and spins up fast. I have the 120tpi version and love them. It gets great reviews...just Google, Maxxis Rambler reviews.

Oh yes, It set up as easy as any tire I've ever installed tubeless. Which it should as it is rated tubeless ready.
Ditto on the Ramblers. Weirdly fast and light for their size and have proven to be very durable.

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts
Any experience here on the WTB Riddler 37c? Looks like it would be a great dry/hard CX tire and do well on gravel/road rides as well. My bike came with thin mud tires, so I'd like to get something smoother and wider.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
Is that file tread going to be enough grip on grass and stuff in a CX race? I'm a beginner, so all my races will be at 8am and probably fairly wet with morning dew. I know less tread means more speed, but I don't want to be stuck with too little tread. Will hopefully be running tubeless at some point too.

If you will be doing wet and muddy, then this may not be the best choice. These are best for dry dirt/gravel. They have the diamond pattern in the middle for smooth rolling with a little grip, but the edge treads bite in for cornering.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts