Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nashbar flat bar road bike. This was supposed to be my "beater." $245 shipped. That was the least expensive bike I could find which was a real bike with real components, ie not a walmart bike.

The "problem" is, the bike is too nice to be a beater. People stare at my bike all the time and give me compliments all of the time.

The drivetrain is super quiet.

The green paint is lustrous and classy.

The triangular downtube looks too sophisticated and hi tech for a beater.

The tires are super quiet, fast, and super comfy.

The brakes are powerful with great modulation.

I've pimped it out with lights, reflectors and bells.

There are a couple of minor scratches and they make me sad.

This is not a beater. It's a very nice bike which just happened to be very inexpensive.

--

Now, I need to buy a true beater. Something I can ride in the rain. Where scratches are patina. A bike which I won't miss too much if it's stolen. But it has to be reliable.

Should I scour craigslist?

I've checked goodwill a few times and the bikes there are horrible.

Any other sources I should check out?

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Rattle cans of paint, sandpaper, and duct tape will make it look like crap, but not change the functionality. It might hurt, but wait until you are pissed off at someone/something, and take it out on the bike.

Many shops have used bikes, but the nicer frames have pretty much been snapped up to make SS/fixed. Worth asking. I've even seen frame piles behind shops.

Also worth asking are cyclists you know, who likely have something laying around that can be resurrected. I used to have one, but gave it to a buddy to help him resurrect his oldest bike of that era (early 80s).

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I've checked goodwill a few times and the bikes there are horrible.
Goodwill and similar donation outfits take all kinds of bikes. Point being: if you check often enough, you'll find the bike you're looking for. Since the good beaters are usually sold in one day or so, "often" should be "daily" if you can manage that.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Goodwill and similar donation outfits take all kinds of bikes. Point being: if you check often enough, you'll find the bike you're looking for.
And the non-crap ones are snapped up fast. Which is why you should look often.

Personally, I would much rather make a bike I like ugly than try to find an ugly bike I like. For $250. Lots and lots and lots of urban commuters have done this, for good reason.

Oh, pawn shops can be a source. Some will even call you if they have something non-huffy level you might be interested in.

·
I love to climb!
2,046 Posts
What's wrong with using the nashbar for your intended purposes? So ride it in the rain. Take care of it, rain won't hurt it. Rain certainly won't scratch it. So your "beater" is nice. That's not a bad thing if you ask me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Find a bike rack at your local school or downtown area. Rub your nashbar bike all over it until it has the appropriate amount of scratches and that 'used' look. Then, be sure not to lube the pulleys until they start to squeak.

Put a plastic shopping bag over the seat an secure it with duct tape. Order a different front tire so your front and rear tires don't match. It's easier and cheaper than getting another 'beater' bike.

·
Registered
20,789 Posts
Not sure why you're so intent on keeping a $245 pristine. Ride it till it dies and buy another.

But if having a beater is so important, I concur, buy another $245 Nashbar bike you like so much. Keep one for nice and another for a beater.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
When in doubt, upgrade. Treat yourself and buy that $10K bike you've always wanted. This will automatically turn your current bike into a whatever/don't give a ..... bike.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
What's wrong with using the nashbar for your intended purposes? So ride it in the rain. Take care of it, rain won't hurt it. Rain certainly won't scratch it. So your "beater" is nice. That's not a bad thing if you ask me.
This!! I love that you got a beater bike and love it enough to post this!

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Don't fool yourself. A beater bike can get expensive quickly. Parts breaking or wearing out - sometimes in the middle of a long ride in the rain. I equate it to buying a '67 MGB-GT. Super cool car that you will work on at least once per month. It gets old fast.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've seen some people with some very cool beaters. As in trek 900 series and specialized allez from back in the day. They're jacked up, rusted but fully functional and just so cool.

I'm going to ask around. There are a couple of cool co-ops out of town.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
I've seen some people with some very cool beaters. As in trek 900 series...
columbus sl beater?

nice lifestyle.

i just bought this bike off craigs:

View attachment 316441

it's a second gen, 'classic era' paramount -- one of the first. it didn't have any of its original parts. the previous owner made this full 531 frame into a single-speed with fenders. that's what you call a pretty nice, under the radar 'beater.'

that might be the best role for this bike, actually, as the spotty paint, surface rust, and lack of decals sort of hide what this bike really is. but it still had its cable guides and derailleur hanger, so i'm building it back up into a vintage road bike:

View attachment 316442

View attachment 316443

there are two bad things about this plan: it's expensive and you lose the camouflage. is the upside worth it? it's too much fun building it up, so i can only say, yes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts