Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like some zipp 101s but don't feel like paying a grand.

What are my options for a light, durable 23mm wide, 30mm deep (or deeper) aluminum clincher? Somewhere in the $500 range.

I was looking at the 3T Accelero 40 Pro, but they weigh a ton.

I'm also not crazy about doing a custom build.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Your budget, depth desires, avoidance of custom and weight goal are going to be limitng factors.

Getting up over the 30mm depth in a alu rim is going to make it heavy. If it isn't heavy, it is going to be pricey.

Although not your preference, I think the best way to balance your desire for a deeper rim with your weight goal is going to be a custom build or a smaller wheelhouse that is using the same suppliers as your custom houses. There are only 3 rims that come to mind that come close to fitting your wants.

Kinlin/BHS/Boyd = 23 wide, 28 deep
The new Pacenti
The H+ Son Archetype

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
EDIT: sorry I didn't rear the last part about custom builds... in that case you should really check out the HED Bastogne, salivate a little, and then try to find them on sale to fit your budget.

I was in the market for something very similar to what you seek. I just placed an order last night for a set of hand built wheels after chatting with a builder.

Kinlin 279 (28mm deep, 23mm wide)
BHS hubs (I was skeptical - you can find my earlier thread on this forum - but road reports are positive)
24/28 x-ray spokes / brass nipples
build is weighed in at 1584 :thumbsup:

I paid just under five hundred. If you were to start pricing the above with name brand hubs, price would rocket up $200+.

The Kinlin rims - while being 2mm shallower - have a rounded off shape (toroid?) similar to HED's new offerings which tests are very aero. The HED's are another rim to consider here, as they are finished slightly better and have similar specs (the Bastogne's are 30mm deep while also being 23wide). One caveat is that they are hard to find in stock.

·
Registered
869 Posts
9W9W - did you do your own build? I'd like to try, but I'm too chicken.

And Flo Cycling is currently testing prototypes of the exact wheel the OP is looking for. Check their website for updates.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
No. I can barely change my tire without botching it twice over.

Under five hundred was my builders price for the whole thing. I don't want to break any etiquette rules on the forum, so I'm not sure if its okay to share his website.

·
Registered
536 Posts
FWIW, I just recently built up a set of the Kinlin 279 rims and BHS hubs. I went 20/24 with Alu nipples. Radial Front, 2X rear. Sapim Lazer all the way around except for I used Race on the Drive side. Weight came in at 1520. THey are for a smooth 170 lb rider. THis built up to very strong set of wheels. I was really impressed with this rim.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you really like the Zipp 101's then search around. You don't have to pay a grand and you don't have to buy them used to get them cheaper. Multiple vendors at this past Velo Swap had them for less than a grand. I doubt you will find them for $500 though. $800-$900 most likely. Boyd or Rol might just be what you are looking for.

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
Go with the ROL Race SL's or the Boyd Vitesses. They're $625 and $650, respectively, which I know is above what you'd like to spend, but for the money you can't beat them. You want a set that is light, durable, 23mm, and 30mm deep. One or two of those specs has to go if you want to stay at $500.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
Looks pretty good. I'm guessing the brake track will wear to silver?
If you the Q&A comments in the FLO blog, you'll see their response: "These have the same anodizing that your FLO 60, 90 and DISC have. For some people they black never wears off and for others it wears off quickly. It depends on primarily the weather you ride in and the type of brake pads you use. Wet weather makes the black wear off quickly."

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Boyd's Cycling have some Vitesse Wheels which is 28mm deep and 23mm wide which is close to your range($650). 1508gm for 20/24 spoke count(recommend for rider under 180lb)1552gm for 24/48 spoke count(recommend for rider over 180lb)

2013 Vitesse alloy clincher - Boyd Cycling

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just picked up a set of Boyd Vitesse and took them for a ride for the first time today. Needless to say I was very impressed.

In comparison to the other 2 sets of wheels I have that cost substantially more, IMO they really are a bargain. Great set of wheels for the price. I can't comment on their long term durability but the reviews say theres no issues.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'd like to try, but I'm too chicken.
Find an old wheel, remove the tension from the spokes, and tension it yourself. After playing with that, BUILD!!!. You never learn sitting around watching others do it. If you read Mike's site for novice wheel builder's you'll do better than many. I've put 150 miles on my new wheels and they're still as true as the day I put tires on them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.