Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone out there build up one of these chinese frames that is also adult sized? (6'2+). I have surgery this fall, and have been thinking of sourcing parts to build up my first bike, and was directed to this forum and the large amount of knowledge here to possibly look at some of the chinese carbon bikes.

Specifically, i am looking for a bike for fast group rides, TT/tri's with clip on aero bars, and may try a crit or 2 next year to see if i like it. Basically an all around road bike. I have been doing all of this on my cyclocross bike (from bikesdirect... great bike), but after this cross season it's time for a dedicated roadie.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Me too

I am also looking for a cheap, very large carbon, nondescript (i.e China) frame. I have a few proper road bikes and think it would be fun to build an inexpensive carbon flat bar bike. But I have not seen frames larger than a 58 cm and would need about a 62 cm.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
adam_mac84 said:
anyone out there build up one of these chinese frames that is also adult sized? (6'2+). I have surgery this fall, and have been thinking of sourcing parts to build up my first bike, and was directed to this forum and the large amount of knowledge here to possibly look at some of the chinese carbon bikes.

Specifically, i am looking for a bike for fast group rides, TT/tri's with clip on aero bars, and may try a crit or 2 next year to see if i like it. Basically an all around road bike. I have been doing all of this on my cyclocross bike (from bikesdirect... great bike), but after this cross season it's time for a dedicated roadie.
You need to check out this calculator.
I am 6'2.5" tall and some of the 58cm frames I have looked at are too tall for me.
Also my recommended ETT is 57cm.

http://cheapcarbonframes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/sizing.html#stack-and-reach

The largest frames I have seen are the Pedal Force ones which come with up to a 61cm seat tube. But you need to check out that stack and reach chart to check what all the angles measure up to.

http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?cPath=101740&products_id=6524

http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?cPath=101740&products_id=16938

http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?cPath=101740&products_id=13613

I am sure if you look hard enough, you will find these Pedalforce frames available via Hongfu, Miracletrade etc with a different name.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the link!!! I will plug myself into some of the fit calculators out there... one problem i have with many of the 58cm frames is i end up with crazy seat/bar drop because i usually max out the seat post on a 58.

I currently ride a 64cm with 610mm TT, and a 110mm frame... so i could go to a 590 and 130 pretty well. I am very comfortable in the drops right now, so going down a frame size isn't too much of a concern, but i guess buying one without a test ride would make me a bit nervous.

I will keep looking at geo's and see if i can find a bike at LBS that is similar to these frames.

What are you guys spending building these up? most bikes with 105 that i am looking at are in the 15-1700 range. I was hoping to get a little more bang for my buck (primarily in wheels) by going this route

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
adam_mac84 said:
thanks for the link!!! I will plug myself into some of the fit calculators out there... one problem i have with many of the 58cm frames is i end up with crazy seat/bar drop because i usually max out the seat post on a 58.

I currently ride a 64cm with 610mm TT, and a 110mm frame... so i could go to a 590 and 130 pretty well. I am very comfortable in the drops right now, so going down a frame size isn't too much of a concern, but i guess buying one without a test ride would make me a bit nervous.
I would wonder what those numbers are.
If you are talking a 58cm seat tube frame and maxing out seatpost you have some looooooonnnnggggg legs.
Why I question the numbers is that my Moots is a 59. It has a 58cm effective top tube and a 56cm seat tube. Buggered if I know where 59cm comes from based on that.
Sounds like you may benefit from a more "square" frame rather than a sloping TT.

Sorry, but I don't get 130mm stems. Last couple of bike fit calculators told me I need a 130mm stem on a 57cm frame. My own calculator in my head says 110mm max.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting data... here is my competitive cyclist output.

The Competitive Fit The Eddy Fit The French Fit
Seat tube range c-c 63.4 - 63.9 64.6 - 65.1 66.3 - 66.8
Seat tube range c-t 65.3 - 65.8 66.5 - 67.0 68.2 - 68.7
Top tube length 54.8 - 55.2 54.8 - 55.2 56.0 - 56.4
Stem Length 11.8 - 12.4 10.7 - 11.3 10.9 - 11.5
BB-Saddle Position 87.7 - 89.7 86.9 - 88.9 85.2 - 87.2
Saddle-Handlebar 55.9 - 56.5 56.7 - 57.3 58.4 - 59.0
Saddle Setback 9.2 - 9.6 10.4 - 10.8 9.9 - 10.3

Interesting, because i don't know where i would find a 63cm seat tube (my current is 64cm) with a 55cm top tube (mine is 610) lol. This basically seems to put into words some of my problems with the bike fit... i max out seat posts on anything smaller than ~61cm frame, which leaves me with huge saddle to bar drop... which is fine for anything under 40-50 miles, even that is a bit of a stretch

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
adam_mac84 said:
Interesting data... here is my competitive cyclist output.

The Competitive Fit The Eddy Fit The French Fit
Seat tube range c-c 63.4 - 63.9 64.6 - 65.1 66.3 - 66.8
Seat tube range c-t 65.3 - 65.8 66.5 - 67.0 68.2 - 68.7
Top tube length 54.8 - 55.2 54.8 - 55.2 56.0 - 56.4
Stem Length 11.8 - 12.4 10.7 - 11.3 10.9 - 11.5
BB-Saddle Position 87.7 - 89.7 86.9 - 88.9 85.2 - 87.2
Saddle-Handlebar 55.9 - 56.5 56.7 - 57.3 58.4 - 59.0
Saddle Setback 9.2 - 9.6 10.4 - 10.8 9.9 - 10.3

Interesting, because i don't know where i would find a 63cm seat tube (my current is 64cm) with a 55cm top tube (mine is 610) lol. This basically seems to put into words some of my problems with the bike fit... i max out seat posts on anything smaller than ~61cm frame, which leaves me with huge saddle to bar drop... which is fine for anything under 40-50 miles, even that is a bit of a stretch
I think you must have either some stupidly long legs or else you have some dodgy data in there.
You said you are 6'2" right??

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
About 6'3". Inseam measurement was 38.5 to my crotch.

I have also been playing with that stack and reach calculator. I entered the data for my 64cm motobecane and came up with stack 621.5 and reach 408. The 60cm FM028 comes up with 626.6 and 395.6. I am thinking I could interpret this as the FM028 actually being a bit more 'upright' than my cross bike, since the stack is higher, with a bit shorter reach, should bring the bars up and back a bit. It is a 210mm head tube, so i am guessing it is more of an 'endurance' type frame than it is a racer

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, i am going to get a fit today, so i should have more information about what size bike will be best for me. I will bring my competative cyclist numbers as well, to see what their thoughts are

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, finished my fit. The fitter was very good, and understood where i was comming from. He made some good recommendations for my current bike (including 90mm stem and short reach bars) which took off a good 2-3cm's of reach.

I have also gotten some measurements (modified stack/reach) that i can use on different bikes that i test ride. Basically the seat setback, seat height and reach from tip of saddle to bars, and bar drop. If i can duplicate these measurements on a bike, it should fit regardless of bike type (generally speaking).

I also found that with a flipped stem on specialized secteur 1 size smaller (61cm) even though the seat post is very high, i am very close to the measurements i came out of the fit with.

I do still think it'd be fun to build up a china bike though... i like the stealth look

1 - 14 of 14 Posts