Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can find a new set of Chorus 10 spd shifters in alloy? (not interested in carbon). I'd prefer the complete set with cables for something less than ~$250.

Yeah, ebay is likely my best bet, but they come up rarely, and I'm soooo tired of the snipers.....

Thanks much in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good tip, thanks....

Dom replied to my email almost immediately, but they are all gone.

Other ideas anyone?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Campagnolo sells complete single levers as repair parts. Last I checked they still sell Chorus alloy ten. You will have to buy a right and left individually, so it will cost more.

this is an option if you cant find anybody with complete pairs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
alibi said:
Anyone know where I can find a new set of Chorus 10 spd shifters in alloy? (not interested in carbon). I'd prefer the complete set with cables for something less than ~$250.

Yeah, ebay is likely my best bet, but they come up rarely, and I'm soooo tired of the snipers.....

Thanks much in advance.

You might try www.wisecyclebuys.com. William doesn't show them on his web site, but he may have a source for them. Worth the toll free phone call, in any event...

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,256 Posts
If you can stomach it, buy a set of Campy Centaur levers. I'll bet they're the old Campy Chorus levers in disguise.

·
Registered
352 Posts
They are not

Mapei Roida said:
If you can stomach it, buy a set of Campy Centaur levers. I'll bet they're the old Campy Chorus levers in disguise.
The Centaur looks alot like an alloy Chorus, has the same inside shift assembly, but the Centaur uses a internal bushing where Chorus and Record use two cartridge bearings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
easily stomached....

As flakey pointed out, the only difference I can discern is the bearing/bushing thing. Bodies on both are composite, but I didn't compare part numbers on every part, so there might be other slight differences.

There is no way my wife will ever put the 10K+ miles on these shifters to wear out the bushings, but her complaints almost always concern shifting, so I figured the slight edge of the smoother action of the bearings would make it worth trying to run down a set.

So, recommendations please: new Centaur vs. used Chorus, assuming the price would be very to close to equal.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Wives

alibi said:
...but her complaints almost always concern shifting...
Wow, your wife never complains about you? Does she have a sister? Perhaps wife swap - my wife complaints often center around me rather than her shifting. Just this week I ordered her Valentines present - Chorus Groupo - so I am sure her complaints will continue to be about me rather than shifting. Carbon is more expensive than roses and even more expensive than jewelry.

alibi said:
...So, recommendations please: new Centaur vs. used Chorus, assuming the price would be very to close to equal.
I have the last season of Chorus alloy and they are still working great after several thousand miles and a couple of seasons racing. My son has a pair of Centaur levers with one season of riding and racing. Both are still working well but I would give the edge to the Chorus, they just feel better. If you can find a gently used pair of Chorus levers go with them. The Centaur are not bad, just different. I also prefer the look of alloy over carbon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your wife never complains about you? Does she have a sister? Perhaps wife swap - my wife complaints often center around me rather than her shifting.
Oh, complaints abound; I was just trying to stay on topic. ;)

Thanks for the comparison KUJ. I was leaning toward new Centaurs, trying to avoid the whole "these are used, but will work better than new blah blah...trust me honey", but always thought the gently used Chorus route was best, especially considering the rebuildable aspect.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Engagement Rings

alibi said:
"these are used, but will work better than new blah blah...trust me honey"
Yes dear this is not a new engagement ring but the jeweler said it was a great value and way bigger than anything I could afford new. Be careful introducing her to your jeweler. Much like people refer to "My Doctor", "My Attorney" my wife has "My Jeweler" as in, hey honey our anniversary is coming up why don't you go see My Jeweler.

The NEW argument is persuasive and if there is any hesitation on her part I would go new Centaur. My son is hard on equipment, races nearly every weekend all summer and puts on 5,000 plus miles a year and the Centaur levers are still in good shape and shifting well. I have rebuilt an older pair and if you have any reasonable mechanical skills and are patient the rebuild is not too hard.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
flakey said:
The Centaur looks alot like an alloy Chorus, has the same inside shift assembly, but the Centaur uses a internal bushing where Chorus and Record use two cartridge bearings.
Yeah, I think even this difference went away this year. They're all bushings now, I'm told.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The Record and Chorus shifters still rotate on the double cartridge bearings. The Centaur and Daytona were never bearing, always bushing, and most everything else below have been bushing.
The 99 Athena Ergopower was a catridge bearing body/shifter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good find, thanks...

That is indeed a good price they are currently offering, but I'm having trouble swallowing the $117 shipping fee + another 5.75% credit card fee.

Got an e-mail into them to see if all that is real.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, saw those....

Other places also seem to have those available too, in the $270-290; add another $60 or so for the conversion and it starts to seem a little silly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd just go Centaur. I've ridden them both and really the difference isn't enough to matter. There are so many other variables to the smoothness of the shifting. Whichever bike has newer/cleaner cables will shift more smoothly and better. The older shifters will also be smoother. If one bike has shorter pieces of housing it will be a little less smooth. blah blah blah. The bearing/bushing thing is a marketing trick for the most part, so Campy can say "look, they go to 11".

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maybe I can help you. I live in Denmark - and often order stuff from them. If you have a paypal account or smt maybe we can work it out. Let me know through private message if ur interested.

Hmm - I just checked their website - completely unreasonable shipping prices to the states, though you save the tax which is 25% (!!!) so they will actually cost you app 45$ less, don't know what you'll have to pay in customs in the states though...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts