Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a good, comfortable pair of combat boots for casual kicking around in. I don't want to pay a mint. I know Teh Lownje knows shoez, and like that.

Kick Me with Yer Best Shoez...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
you could just enlist.................pretty sure they would be free then...

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i have several pairs for work. bates 11" and rocky 10" para-boots are very nice if they fit your feets's. they can be had for $90-$130. bates 8" tactical are also nice and have a soft sole, for something like $80. all side-zip.

·
Pusher of Pedals
194 Posts
Well...

FishrCutB8 said:
I want a good, comfortable pair of combat boots for casual kicking around in. I don't want to pay a mint. I know Teh Lownje knows shoez, and like that.

Kick Me with Yer Best Shoez...

Converse makes some good ones, I have a couple of pairs. One has a plastic protective toe (as opposed to steel toe). They are mucho comfortable and can be had for ~90 bucks if you look around.

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
'Casual' and 'Combat Boots' don't really go together, IMO. Nothing says comfort like a pair of 10" laceups, right?

Plum

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
I use to have a pair of Gripfast brand boots. Made in England, around $100 if I remember right (this was about 10 years ago). They even had screws holding the sole in (in addition to glue and stitching or whatever) for extra bad-ass points.

·
Banned
7,134 Posts
Plum said:
'Casual' and 'Combat Boots' don't really go together, IMO. Nothing says comfort like a pair of 10" laceups, right?

Plum

I go through 3-5 pairs of Magnums a year. I burn through the soles as seen in the above photo. The boots are as light as a running shoe, offer excellent ankle support, breathe-ability and complete protection.

haiku d'etat's is obviously a BATES guy.:D

Obviously.

side note, the V-Lite Composite Toe tend to collect or trap a condensation sitting open laced over night. Cedar shoe tree those babies pronto ....and rotate your footwear never suiting up with the same footwear two days in a row. Soggy and sloppy is not a happy happy.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Woah, what're you doing to them to wreck 5 pairs a year, using them as spoon brakes on a motorcycle?

Forgive my ignorance about boots, but,

1 ) What's the point of a side-zip? I mean, if it laces, why zip, too? Probably easy on / off, but, then, why do you need the laces at all?

2 ) You can't just re-sole those things? Seems a shame to have to toss all of the uppers...

I was a nihilist-looking-type in high school, with a duster and combat boots pretty much every day, but I wore surplus store-sourced jump boots pretty much all of the time.

EverydayRide said:
I go through 3-5 pairs of Magnums a year. I burn through the soles as seen in the above photo. The boots are as light as a running shoe, offer excellent ankle support, breathe-ability and complete protection.

haiku d'etat's is obviously a BATES guy.:D

Obviously.

side note, the V-Lite Composite Toe tend to collect or trap a condensation sitting open laced over night. Cedar shoe tree those babies pronto ....and rotate your footwear never suiting up with the same footwear two days in a row. Soggy and sloppy is not a happy happy.

·
Banned
7,134 Posts
Argentius said:
Woah, what're you doing to them to wreck 5 pairs a year, using them as spoon brakes on a motorcycle?

Forgive my ignorance about boots, but,

1 ) What's the point of a side-zip? I mean, if it laces, why zip, too? Probably easy on / off, but, then, why do you need the laces at all?

2 ) You can't just re-sole those things? Seems a shame to have to toss all of the uppers...

I was a nihilist-looking-type in high school, with a duster and combat boots pretty much every day, but I wore surplus store-sourced jump boots pretty much all of the time.
I've recycled allot of the leather most recently for RBR friends with fi'zi:k saddles believe it or not....

How do I wear out my magnums? Running in them - and I run on the balls of my feet, never the heels. I'm running allot. Not as exercise either.

rward325 said:
As I think everyone here knows I am an Oakley Ho.

Brilliant choice. I've heard these are extremely comfortable.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
EverydayRide said:
I'm running allot. Not as exercise either.
I used to be like that...then I learned to hold my tongue....

·
hit it
4,006 Posts

Corcoran Field II. These are jump boots, fool. They are tough combat boots and not the panzy tennis shoe like Magnums.

I also had good luck with Altama brand boots. If you are going to ruck up, go with a Vibram sole. If you are really just going to use them for kickin around you can go with the Exospeed or Hoplite.

·
Banned
7,134 Posts
NUTT said:

Corcoran Field II. These are jump boots, fool. They are tough combat boots and not the panzy tennis shoe like Magnums.
My comment was directed to Plum, not the original poster of this thread -> if you can focus on the entire commentary - I'll resubmit below Plum's comment. The Magnums were used as an example to Plum of a cross between ->Casual and Combat<- 10 lace and comfort. Your choice, the Corcorans -> directed toward the original poster are pricey but expected for highly proven quality. Might be a little over-kill [no pun intended] walking a college campus though.

Plum said:

Plum

Touch0Gray said:
I used to be like that...then I learned to hold my tongue....
T0G, you've lost me somewhere on this comment. If it was intended for the post count -> I understand. Would you like some zucchini? On me Mal?

הכתיב, לא לקרוא

·
hit it
4,006 Posts
EverydayRide said:
My comment was directed to Plum, not the original poster of this thread -> if you can focus on the entire commentary - I'll resubmit below Plum's comment. The Magnums were used as an example to Plum of a cross between ->Casual and Combat<- 10 lace and comfort. Your choice, the Corcorans -> directed toward the original poster are pricey but expected for highly proven quality. Might be a little over-kill [no pun intended] walking a college campus though.
I was just hatin' on the Hi-tecs (not one you).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts