Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on the hunt for new wheels for a while, and after digging around and reading and reading and reading reviews I decided to go the hand built route (In part because everything I've read here). I stopped in my LBS today and the owner gave me a quote on a set of wheels, but I wanted to get a few opinions before I pulled the trigger.

He said for right around $1,000.00 he could build a set of wheels with Chris King R45 hubs, hed belgium rims, and whichever DT Swiss spokes I wanted.

A bit about me, my riding, and my sweet sweet bike:

I'm 5'11, a pretty fit 215. If I lay off the beer and bacon I could get to 210 by mid summer, but that's about as low as I could go. I ride about 100 to 150 miles a week. I do a couple of charity centuries a year, so right before them I up my mileage. Next year, I may do a couple more because they are fun. I live in Seattle, so there is a lot of rain, hills, and where I ride big cross winds.

I have 2012 Cannondale Caad 10, with Sram Red/black all around.

So, what does everyone think? Good deal? A good wheel that will last a while?

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
That is an awesome rim/hub combination. Those hubs are extremely durable, and the Belgium has probably the nicest finish that you can get on an alloy hoop.

Since your a bit heavier, I think that a 24/28 would be the way to go. If you wanted to overbuild, you could go 28/32, or 32/32, all though I don't really think that would be necessary.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I agree with Zen's suggestion of "you could go 28/32" as it's not as thought you're competing for gold medals. That would be a great set of wheels and would give you great peace of mind. As a comparison, if I was building them for myself, at 170-175lbs, I'd do 'em 24/28.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
That is an awesome rim/hub combination. Those hubs are extremely durable, and the Belgium has probably the nicest finish that you can get on an alloy hoop.

Since your a bit heavier, I think that a 24/28 would be the way to go. If you wanted to overbuild, you could go 28/32, or 32/32, all though I don't really think that would be necessary.
I gotta agree with this. 24/28 is definitely the way to go. Trust me, I tried them all...

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'm in the 19X lb range (would like to get to 190 even or 189) @ 6'.
I run a set of CK R45's on HED C2 tubulars 28/32, DT Swiss Comp, brass nipples for daily use, great set of wheels.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'd compare his quote to one from QBP's Handspun, which might be much lower. They have people who sit and build wheels all day for years, including that exact build, so the quality may (or may not) be better from someone with more practice than the guy at your LBS who might build a few sets a year. Nearly any LBS has access to QBP, so you could get them at most shops.

Handspun Products

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
@neibeaver

The reduced flange width of the 2013 production hubs because of the 11 speeds they are designed to accommodate require the rethinking of the number of spokes used. At your weight of 215lbs and the hill climbing duty you are anticipating you need to be concerned about the wheel's lateral stiffness.
IMO, and others may differ, I would not suggest anything less than 28/32 for you. I would use double butted spokes like the Sapim Race (instead of cx-rays as the minimal aero benefits are now eclipsed) to get enough spoke stiffness out of the wheel. I would lace them 3x all around for the rear and 2x for the front and I would use brass nipples as you live in Seattle in addition to adding a bit more tension as the HED rim will take it.
One thing to be concerned however is that because a builder is using top shelf components it does not necessarily mean he can produce a top shelf wheel. Ask for references, word of mouth etc to verify capabilities.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your input and your time! Spending $1000.00 is a giant step, having smart people give positive feed back helps. I'll call the owner tomorrow and drop off money. I'll request 24/28.

To @skepticman even if I saved $200.00 I'd go though my local guy, just because I've met him and he'll either pocket that $200.00 or he'll reinvest the money in his shop either way it's good for Seattle and my neighborhood.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's good that you like supporting local businesses. I only buy bike stuff through my LBS and almost never online.

The shop will still make a profit (probably a bit less, though) if you have him order the wheels from Handspun. QBP would sell the wheels to his shop at a wholesale price that allows him to mark them up. Your LBS is going to order the parts for the wheel build from somewhere anyway. He might make a bit more building them himself, but he or one of his shop rate would spend part of a day doing the build, so that higher margin doesn't come free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey all, I just wanted to update you all. I just got the wheels back from the shop. I went with 28/32 mainly because the LBS already had the rims in the shop they put 25mm tires on them. I've only rode 15 miles, but they feel light, strong, and fast. Thank you all again for your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.