Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for approximately 2 years on a Bianchi via narone (al/carb). Im a triathlete, not serious- competitive, but more to have fun. Im looking to upgrade my current wheels (which Ill list below). If anyone could help me out, Id appreciate it!

Stats:

30yoa male 165lbs slender
55cm bike
current wheels: mavic aksium race (prob. 2008ish model) shimano

riding conditions:
very hilly, some roads are plagued with blight

looking to spend 1300-1500 on wheelset (clincher)

I looked at the zipp, 404s (2008 model) HED and some others. Im seeing mixed reviews on the price vs. value, and want a good, comfortable, light solid wheel, that will be good for training/racing and to gain speed and obvs. help on the tough hills!

Hope this helps and thanks again!

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Those Aksiums weigh what? Like 1800g?

I'd check out Neuvation and Bicycle Wheel Warehouse and buy yourself 2 pairs of wheels for the budget you have. Maybe a set of Neuvation C50 clinchers and some BWW Blackset Race w/ CX Ray spokes. That would give you lots of versatility to adapt to different conditions and needs.

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Yea, theyre pretty heavy. I saw zipp 800/400 set on e-bay for 1300. Not sure if thats a god deal or not. Seem like theyre in good shape. I checked out the Neuvation C50, they look pretty decent. How would they do in the environment I described? (and for 500 less then used Zipps)

· Registered
613 Posts
I really like KrisDrum's suggestion. You could get two great sets of wheels for that price, Neuvation C50's and a set from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. That's all you'd need. You didn't mention what speeds you ride at, but the aero properties of the deep dish wheels don't really kick in until you get somewhere in the low to mid 20's, and on windy days they are a beeeaaaach. I tried a friend's set of 60's and hated them for training rides, but that's just me.

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool- thanks man! Unfortunately i live in a valley , so at the the end of the rides my avg is 15mph. (the hills are like you said, a beeeeeeeeach. It really screws up my avg. On the flats and slight rolling hills I tend to avg from 18-20mph.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Aero doesn't "kick in" at a certain speed... on the flat it is always the greatest resistance to overcome.

Scoe... are these wheels for racing Tris or daily riding? Big difference in requirements. The cheapest way to go for races that aren't super hilly, would be an S80 or FP80 front wheel, and a disc cover on any decent (ie good bearings, durable) rear wheel.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
For your budget I'd probably get one of the deep front wheels for racing, another nice wheelset for daily riding and a disc cover for the Aksium. Put fast tires and latex tubes on the racing set and you will be in good shape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.