Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Looking for info

914 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  blackfrancois 
#1 ·
This bike just got dropped off at my church rummage sale. Can anyone help me out with what I am looking at? Are there any other pictures that would be helpful?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Bike was built late 70s, probably. Simplex rear derailleurs were common on mid level road bikes, just before Shimano came out with its "600EX" group around '80.

The 3 main tube are Reynolds 531, top of the line butted tubing of the time, but the lugs are stamped, not "cold forged" and no doubt machine brazed, looking at the lug in the pix of the shifters, which looks like it could be coming apart from rust built up in the badly brazed joint. The fork blades, chain stays and seat stays are probably straight gauge "hi tensile steel," heavier and not as responsive. The bike sold for around $300-400. You could buy a top of the line frame for $600 and a full Campy equipped bike for $1200-1400 back then.

It might be fun to restore, but it probably has oddball French threaded BB and headset. It also might have 27" rims, but probably 700C. 27" rims have been obsolete since the 80s, so the selection of replacement tires is limited. The other components were pretty much standard. Parts are still available. I fixed up a cherry Schwinn that had lived in a pawn shop forever, with the same tubing and equivalent component package, put a pair of new tires on, and gave it to a teenage kid. He preferred it to my custom Columbus SLX bike, hand brazed with nice stiff investment cast lugs. It was plenty stiff when climbing, not quite as quick to respond as the SLX, but you got what you paid for.

#5 · (Edited)
Great info! There was a shim or washer that had a detente on it that would adapt Simplex derailleurs to standard dropouts I seem to remember. They're probably still around. Velo Orange would know about that.

Do you think OP could get bike for a nominal $35-50?

The bike has no value to the owner. He hasn't ridden it in years and is one step away from throwing it away. He's "donating" it to a church rummage sale, presumably to raise money for charity. So whatever money the bike earns is a contribution to charity, not payment to the original owner. If it were at a garage sale it would be lucky to get $15-20. Collectors bid prices higher, but this bike is no cherry. $100. is generous for this bike in the condition its in, IMO.

#6 ·
... adapt Simplex derailleurs to standard dropouts...
interesting, but not an issue for this peugeot.

Do you think OP could get bike for a nominal $35-50?
don't know, but in its current state, it is certainly worth about $100 or less.

with a new wheelset, it would be a really nice riding bike, i imagine. i'd rebuild the hubs on new sun rims and get some kool stops for those mafac center-pulls ($20ish on ebay).

i hate simplex dt shifters with a five speed. the throw is just too long. i'd spread the frame to 126mm (with a 2x4) and use a new 6-speed sunrace freewheel. that will greatly improve the shifting.

#7 ·
looking at the pic, the pedals should probably be tossed as they're unserviceable (i.e., you cannot remove the dust caps and rebuild them).

if they're french thread, this would be a setback for the project, as good french pedals are fairly expensive unless you have a good bike co-op in your area.

as 1980 approached, peugeot was moving more to standard practices, so the pedals could be standard thread, which would allow you to use japanese pedals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.