Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A cord broke on one of my Specialized Mondo Pro (700x23C) tires after less than 50 miles. It was a manufacture defect since I didn't hit anything major and there is no sign of damage from the outside.

I will have replaced under warranty, but it will take a while to get the new tire so I am looking for light, performant tires, but that will last longer than Mondo Pros. I liked the weight and performance of the Mondo Pros, but they do not seam to be very resistant. I will put about 200 miles/week on these tires and I don't want to change them too often. I will use them on dry pavement only.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got a pair of Continental GP4000 today, since they seam to be appreciated by many. For sure the quality of these tires is a lot better than my Mondo Pros. I gave them a try today and I like them a lot so far. I'll see how they do on the long term...

·
Registered
228 Posts
kreyszig said:
A cord broke on one of my Specialized Mondo Pro (700x23C) tires after less than 50 miles. It was a manufacture defect since I didn't hit anything major and there is no sign of damage from the outside.

I will have replaced under warranty, but it will take a while to get the new tire so I am looking for light, performant tires, but that will last longer than Mondo Pros. I liked the weight and performance of the Mondo Pros, but they do not seam to be very resistant. I will put about 200 miles/week on these tires and I don't want to change them too often. I will use them on dry pavement only.
If the Mondo Pros had a manufacturing defect (it happens), that doesn't really say much about how long they normally last. Everyone has defects. Everyone. The damage you describe is usually caused by hitting a pothole or curb. The lightest tires are often the most susceptible to this damage since the casing is made relatively thin.

Apart from casing damage or defects, the tires that last the longest are the ones with the most rubber in the tread. That rules out the lightest tires because they have as little tread as possible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HeronTodd said:
If the Mondo Pros had a manufacturing defect (it happens), that doesn't really say much about how long they normally last. Everyone has defects. Everyone. The damage you describe is usually caused by hitting a pothole or curb. The lightest tires are often the most susceptible to this damage since the casing is made relatively thin.

Apart from casing damage or defects, the tires that last the longest are the ones with the most rubber in the tread. That rules out the lightest tires because they have as little tread as possible.
I know that all tires can have manufacturing defects, I just meant that The GP4000 tires use superior materials than Mondo Pros. The Mondos are midrange tires while the GP4000 are top of the line tires...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Tires I've used for long mileage:

GP3000s - got over 3000 miles per set, including significant time on the trainer. Seem to be a bit subject to sidewall cuts (did in a few of them) although they seem to be puncture resistant through the tread. They're fine as training tires, and I've raced them plenty, although they seem to roll a bit slow.

Hutchinson Carbon Comp/Fusions - never got 1500 miles on a set before the sidewalls began to deteriorate. Won't use them again.

Specialized All Conditions Pro - currently have about 2000 miles on a set, including warming up on the trainer at races. Project that they'll get about 4000 miles on them. Have been very flat resistant - they came out of a race weekend unscathed (Northern WV where coal fragments were all over the roads) and without even tiny cuts on the tread. Treads look great. I had tufos and Mondo S-works and Michelin Pro Races all get flats that weekend, but a friend borrowing my wheels with those came out great. They actually make a pretty good race tire, especially in road racing where flats mean you are no longer in the race. Corner really well too. I'd consider this a top shelf tire, just without the super soft tread of the s-works version. I trust these on training rides involving gravel roads with great confidence. I have another set waiting for when these wear out.

Specialized Mondo S-works. Before these got shreaded by the coal fragments in WV, they were starting to show wear at about 800 miles. The corner GREAT due to their supersoft rubber, but they also wear fast, and are subject to the glasslike coal fragments I encountered that weekend. I've got another set mounted on my race wheels now, but ONLY race crits and RRs on them. When this set gets shreaded, I'm going to go back to Michelins.

Michelin Pro Race 2 - I had a few friends running these in WV, and they also got pretty cut up. Nobody got flats, but because of all the fragments embedded in their tires, they still had to be thrown away, but they seem to be a LITTLE BIT more cut resistant than the S-works tires. I wouldn't train on them ever, although I know people that do. Some people get pretty good mileage.

Specialized All Condition Sport - Cheap tire ($20) that I get 3000+ miles plus on. Really resistant to flats. I trust these on training rides involving gravel roads with great confidence. Don't really ride well, but perhaps that's the thornproof tubes I use in them (training weight!) Had my first flat last week on them when a MONSTER piece of glass went right through the tread. Can't say any tire would have dealt with that glass, except for the:

Specialized All Condition Armadillo - Bulletproof tire. No flats ever. The end. Specialized tests these by rolling them through trough of glass, and then riding them on the road. Again, they don't really ride great or corner well, but hey, it's not a race tire. I trust these on training rides involving gravel roads with the utmost confidence.

I like the current specialized tires because the tread extends beyond the side of the tire a bit on the edge. This seems to "block" sharp rocks, glass, or metal, that would cut the sidewall on traditionally round tires, like the GP3000. Built in sidewall protection of sorts...

The cool thing about specialized tires, is that if you're unsatisfied, you take it back to the dealer for a refund or credit. Specialized Reps give no questions asked warranty credit on their tires to store owners, so owners extend that to you. It doesn't matter if the tire is brand new, or in my case, has a giant piece of glass through it.

Yes, I like specialized tires, even though my father works for Michelin and pro-deal on pro-race2 is only $24, I still pay for the Specialized tires for training/general use.

I think you'd be happy with All Conditions Pros.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I ride in Montreal, QC which has a lot of crap on the roads including glass, metal shards and we're especially known for extreme potholes, depending on season, some potholes can fit a whole car tire in it...and no I'm not exaggerating.

Anyway, back on track, I've used Bontrager tires and they were bad for the roads, I tried various grades from Selects to Race X etc.

I used Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance. The tread was tough, was resistant and wear was good, but like the other post mentioned, the sidewalls were bad. And that ultimately failed prematurely in relation to the tread.

I'm now using Michelin Pro 2 and having good results with it. Holding up well. I also know some people using the Continental 4000 and they are having good results too.

Just on a tangent, keeping a good pressure according to riding conditions can help. I maintain 105-110psi here and it seems to be a good balance in holding up against the street anomalies I mentioned above.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had good luck with Kenda Koncept Lites. 235 gr. and $15 ea. I get about 2500 miles and have had only 2 flats both sidewall pinch flats on gravel. I've had 10 sets over the years. Not a real performance tire but the weight, price and durability are great. I weigh 150 and run 100 psi in my tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.