Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had previoslly been using my dads Motobicane Super Mirage from 1976 but that has finally given out sadly.:( So now I am in the market for a new road bike and i have been looking at new entry bikes - specifically the Trek 1.2 or the Specialized Allez Double. Those are what I am looking at to purchase as an entry bike. So out of these two bikes which one would be a better bike and if you can think of another intro bike that would be appreciated. Oh btw this is my first time on this site so im not really sure if this is the right forum for this topic but please help me make a decision. Thanks alot
Philip

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
If you haven't already test ridden them, that would be the first step. Work w/ the respective bike shops on fit, go ride and decide from there.

The Trek, has a triple crankset, so I'm surprised you're comparing it to an Allez double, rather than triple. Both have advantages and disadvantages, depending on a number of factors, two of which are the terrain you'll be riding and your fitness level - or maybe you have a preference. The remaining spec's on both bikes are so close as to be a nonissue, unless you have opinions on 'house brands'.

Aesthetically, the Allez has smoother welds than the Trek, but that doesn't make it ride any better. :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Both good bikes. Some others to consider......

Cannondale CAAD - very rigid, very stiff but super sporty and fun
Scott Speedster - Not as cannondale as the cannondale but similar, smoother but not as snappy
Fuji something - best components youll get for the budget, frame is not as good as the others youre looking at.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
How has the older bike given out? Put some new components on it, get the frame repainted, and you got a top-notch ride.

·
10-81
515 Posts
you have to test ride them both...i tried to do the same thing you are doing now asking "which one is better." No matter what anyone says on this forum it is all up to which one "feels" right to you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I definitely recommend riding a lot of bikes. I'm a fan of the Cannondale CAAD9, and the Bianchi C2C. I tried out close to 30 bikes before buying my Bianchi. You learn likes and dislikes both for component groups and frames and fits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks for all the comments i appreciate it. My next step is to go to a few bike shops in the area and test ride those bikes. As to repairing the old motobicane it is worth it to buy a new bike because it needs a new crank , a new sprocket set in the back and a new rim in the front because some of the spokes has bent out. It has been ridden very hard. Also the terrain i am on is smooth pavement but very hilly. Armonk, New York if anyone is wondering
Thanks Again,
Philip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts