Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in search of a new computer. It has to be wireless and the sensor rear fork mounted since I am on the trainer or rollers every now and then. Cadence is not mandatory. The only one I know so far is the Cateye Double Wireless. What else is there?

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I had a Cateye Double Wireless and liked it. They are pricey for what you get. I now use a Garmin Edge 305 and am very satisfied. I like being able to down load my rides, load new courses into it and have it point where to turn. (705 has better navigation) I also like having the heart rate monitor built in.

Yes, it is twice the price of the Cateye, but it does so much more. You will want to get one with the Speed/Cadence sensor to be able to use on the trainer/rollers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Edge 305 right? I have an old Forerunner 305 for running which I love. I'll look into the Edge.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Another vote for the Edge 305 - they're pretty cheap now that the 6 and 7 series are out. There are lots of software options to manage/analyze the data in the Garmin format. Geoman has the 305 with heart rate and cadence for $255 and $235 with just heart rate. I bought mine from him and the service is unbelievable.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
I'm in a similar situation as the OP, and rather than start another thread:

If we go with a GPS-based computer, does it come with a wheel-mounted sensor system as well to kick in when the GPS loses track of itself (which, I think, is still inevitable: I'm new to bike GPS but have been using it in cars for some time)?

Are there any significant differences in terms of usage/accuracy/convenience compared with traditional wheel-mounted sensor-driven computers?

I was all ready to buy a Polar, but now there's a big-box store here in Lyon that's selling off the Garmin 305 for cheap and I'm tempted, but don't want to make an expensive mistake.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
notwist said:
The Edge 305 right? I have an old Forerunner 305 for running which I love. I'll look into the Edge.
The current Forerunner's have cycling mode and you can get a cadense sensor and quick release bike mount if you want to attach it to your bike. I am thinking about this option because I would like to record data for walks also.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ibashii said:
I'm in a similar situation as the OP, and rather than start another thread:

If we go with a GPS-based computer, does it come with a wheel-mounted sensor system as well to kick in when the GPS loses track of itself (which, I think, is still inevitable: I'm new to bike GPS but have been using it in cars for some time)?

Are there any significant differences in terms of usage/accuracy/convenience compared with traditional wheel-mounted sensor-driven computers?

I was all ready to buy a Polar, but now there's a big-box store here in Lyon that's selling off the Garmin 305 for cheap and I'm tempted, but don't want to make an expensive mistake.
The 305 kits come with a chest strap, wheel/candence sensor or both. I was excited about the wheels sensor because I too was worried about losing signal. The truth is, it only loses signal under tunnels. Even dense woods and cloud cover are no match for the built in antenna. I don't use a wheel sensor anymore as the 305 itself is accurate enough and I don't care about cadence. Another thing to add, Garmin service is impeccable.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
paulrad9 said:
Why do you want to collect speed/distance data while on the trainer? Do you count trainer miles in your log?
I collect the data from my trainer rides. One benefit of collecting data on a trainer (a KK Road Machine in my case) is that you can compare data from similar workouts and track progress. Comparing road efforts on a given training loop can be misleading due to differing conditions (wind, temp &/or traffic)

While I would agree trainer miles are different than road miles, I don't see why they should be ignored.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
yakky said:
The 305 kits come with a chest strap, wheel/candence sensor or both. I was excited about the wheels sensor because I too was worried about losing signal. The truth is, it only loses signal under tunnels. Even dense woods and cloud cover are no match for the built in antenna. I don't use a wheel sensor anymore as the 305 itself is accurate enough and I don't care about cadence. Another thing to add, Garmin service is impeccable.
Please note there are 4 ways, or bundles, inwhich to buy an Edge 305:

1.) The Edge unit without HRM strap or speed/cadence sensor (those could be added later)
2.) The Edge unit with HRM strap only
3.) The Edge unit with speed/cadence sensor only
4.) The Edge unit with both HRM strap and speed/cadence sensor included.

Be sure to know what you want, and what the person is selling. The HRM strap and speeed/cadence sensor will each cost you about $40 if/when you buy them at a later date.

Be sure to check the Garmin site for rebates. It has been a while since they had one, but when they do, you can save some good coin.

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
I just bought a NiteRider 5.0 and I like it so far. I like the read out. Programming was confusing, but I like the wireless and the larger display than what I had.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Blue CheeseHead said:
Please note there are 4 ways, or bundles, inwhich to buy an Edge 305:

1.) The Edge unit without HRM strap or speed/cadence sensor (those could be added later)
2.) The Edge unit with HRM strap only
3.) The Edge unit with speed/cadence sensor only
4.) The Edge unit with both HRM strap and speed/cadence sensor included.

Be sure to know what you want, and what the person is selling. The HRM strap and speeed/cadence sensor will each cost you about $40 if/when you buy them at a later date.

Be sure to check the Garmin site for rebates. It has been a while since they had one, but when they do, you can save some good coin.
I know in theory #1 is available, however I haven't seen it.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
royd said:
I am looking a getting the Garmin 305, is there a built in odometer on this unit?
The total miles ever riden is not shown on the normal display. You can go to the history to get that, so yes it does have and odometer.

You can show up to 8 different data sets on the screen at one time. (I have mine set or 5) You can have the "trip odometer" on the main screen showing how far you have gone on a particular ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts