Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to think about my training goals for next year. It would be really nice to find some events I have never done before. Primarily road events, but I would consider some easier mountain bike event. My experience includes centuries, double centuries, 24 hour mtn bike races (on a team) and multiday touring.

New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Utah all under consideration.

All ready done: SF Century, Enchanted Circle, White Sands Century, Tour de Tucson, Iron Horse Classic, Durango 100, 24 Hrs in the Old Pueblo, Bike Tour of Colorado (twice).

So what you got??

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
I've done the Taylor House Ride (a century) in Flagstaff, AZ a couple times. It's held in July but with the high elevation there, the temps are quite nice. The last time I did it (2005) they changed the route and it was pretty tough...lots of climbing and I struggled a bit with the elevation. But if you handled the high elevations in the rides you listed (especially Durango) without any trouble, you'll do fine in Flagstaff. Support for the ride was nice, and my only complaint was having to ride on the shoulder of an interstate highway for a stretch...but maybe they've changed the route since then.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool! Thanks. Haven't heard of either one of those.

Have ridden a fair amount around Wilcox. I imagine that it heads down toward Chiricahua and then around somewhere??

Flagstaff in July would be great. I could even take the train back and forth from Santa Fe and skip driving altogether.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice thanks terry. I'm a Buff too. Alumnus that is.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I'll make you another offer. Come do the Fleche Wallone or Amstel Gold here in Europe. You are welcome to our guest bedroom prior to the ride, and it is a once in a lifetime chance to ride the courses the pros will race the next day. I am planning on doing one of the events, but not sure which one. I live in Western Germany so both are easy drives to get to the event. You can do all or portions of the race course. I am hoping to have the fitness to do the full length Fleche Wallone, but that will depend on how sever the winter is in Germany this year. Same offer goes out to any of my other New Mexico bretheren. My offer is free lodging and transportation to the event. Probably some decent tour guide work in Germany too.

·
Registered
364 Posts
2 great mountainous rides in Utah from 160-200 miles...
RANATAD (hosted by local ski resort sundance usually in July) - climb over 2 HC climbs
Desperadodual.com - double century in southern utah

Done the Tour of Tucson - ok ride, going to do Santa Barbara century and Tour of Scotsdale for first time this year

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.