Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a steel frame with carbon stay and fork. I'm looking to have it repainted for a rebuild. I live in Alameda and have been referred to Litton and D&D. Are there others I should be talking to?
I'm in a "go simple" phase and will probably want just one color and basic Taylor logos.

Thank you in advance!
Tim

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i'd do all the prep work myself, then take it to an auto body shop that'll spray multiple coats and multiple clear coats for under $200 if you can find such a beast. else it usually runs over $400.

here, powder coat jobs (with blast) are almost $200 for just the basic colors.

i've done the whole job myself a couple times, but it's just too much work and mess.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be happy with a $400 price but I'm seeing $550 plus $80 for the stem. Admittedly I haven't gone to speak with anyone yet.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
I'd be happy with a $400 price but I'm seeing $550 plus $80 for the stem. Admittedly I haven't gone to speak with anyone yet.
Try searching Yelp for bicycling painting near San Francisco. That should give you a starting point, and a list of people to check out.

Doing the prep work will cut costs, of course, but work that out ahead of time. Some methods of stripping cause paint issues, like soda blasting, which can be dealt with if known about before shooting the paint. And shops will have standards of prep you will likely want to meet to avoid the charge.

I will say that auto places can do a good job, cheap. This is especially true if you pick a color they are shooting on a car (cheap) and if they have experience painting bike frames (good). Some do a bad job, especially with inside angles.

Good luck finding the right place.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why only the SF area? if you know what color you want you can send it away.
I got my bike done all the way from Japan. Could not be happier. If he's good enough for Carl Strong's bikes... Oliver Cleveland at Dark Matter Finishing
Shipping to Japan and back seems excessive. Was it actually much less expensive including the shipping fees, customs, etc?

Edit: Oh I see. You sent it to Colorado. Interesting. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Oh I see. You sent it to Colorado. Interesting. Thanks!
Yeah ordered frame in the USA, sent to CO. Instructed the painter the base and trim color and told him I trusted his judgement, he delivered with detailed quality coating. Looking at another frame in my garage here in JPN that needs a repaint after nearly 20 years.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
If you have to resort to mail; Hot Tubes in Mass is excellent.
Although with you going with just one color, the skill that makes them so good compared to many others would be n/a for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts