Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to get into the power meter game. I don't need the best and the baddest, being a 58 year old Cat 5 who is back racing after 20+ years off (and never having been any good back then). Because of that, I'm considering the Stages Ultegra, largely due to affordability, despite the limitations of a single sided measure. But I haven't found much discussion here about it as of late, nor have I found much elsewhere. If you have thoughts on it, or can point me to some review information, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks as always.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I have two of them. I find the limitations to be imaginary--my meters agree very closely with each other and my powertap G3. Consistent, easy to calibrate, and a great company. Nothing not to like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
Do you know your L/R balance?
Do you know if it does vary (over power output, cadence, fatigue, hills vs flat, ...)?
If it isn't "steady", you might want to buy something that measures your entire power output...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I don't know any of that. I supposed I could get it measured somewhere. For me, as I noted, at 58 and pretty much sucking as a racer, I don't know that I need to be that fine grained. Also, should I pull the trigger, I can get the Stages Ultegra for about $500, maybe less, and that won't make my wife crabby at me. :p

·
Registered
569 Posts
Getting it measured seems to be complicated...
I rode bePro for a while, and my L/R was changing significantly during rides
(in the worst case it was 30/70).
So I would never use a single sided PM.
For $500 you might find something on sale (Power2Max? Powertap?) or a used PM that measures your total power.
Anyway, your money, your choice.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Getting it measured seems to be complicated...
I rode bePro for a while, and my L/R was changing significantly during rides
(in the worst case it was 30/70).
So I would never use a single sided PM.
For $500 you might find something on sale (Power2Max? Powertap?) or a used PM that measures your total power.
Anyway, your money, your choice.
30/70 that can't be avg .. I'd say that bepro was whack.. I use a 2 sided vector and a stages. Worse I've even been is 53/47 (avg)

·
Registered
569 Posts
30/70 that can't be avg ..
As I wrote: "worst case" (but still for more than just a few seconds).
The bePro was measuring correctly -- tested via one leg drills, deliberately trying to achieve 50/50 (which was possible), and comparing with another PM.
I also saw almost the opposite balance: 60/40, but that was rare.
The average over an entire ride was "close enough" to 50/50 -- but if there is such a huge variance during a ride, the power numbers for a one side measurement would be significantly "off" at any given time -- and you would never know...
Hence my caution... spending $500 without knowing (dynamic) L/R balance is not something I would do.

·
Wandering
195 Posts
But I haven't found much discussion here about it as of late, nor have I found much elsewhere. If you have thoughts on it, or can point me to some review information, I'd appreciate it.
Just in case you haven't read the reviews by DC Rainmaker, they're worth your time (imho).

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
When things don't work, everyone is quick to talk about it.

When they do, no one gives it a second thought.

Seems like Stages have outgrown a lot of their initial growing pains and have finally delivered a more reliable product.

I know a few people who have recently gotten them who haven't had issues with them (this is in 2016). Prior to that it seemed like everyone was having problems.

I'd go for it if you're ready.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
As I wrote: "worst case" (but still for more than just a few seconds).
The bePro was measuring correctly -- tested via one leg drills, deliberately trying to achieve 50/50 (which was possible), and comparing with another PM.
I also saw almost the opposite balance: 60/40, but that was rare.
The average over an entire ride was "close enough" to 50/50 -- but if there is such a huge variance during a ride, the power numbers for a one side measurement would be significantly "off" at any given time -- and you would never know...
Hence my caution... spending $500 without knowing (dynamic) L/R balance is not something I would do.
There is only a certain window in the stroke where the power is being made on each leg. Since they are offset 180 degrees .. Wouldn't you expect that difference? I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Always me!
82 Posts
Pretty much ready to do some shopping for a good price.
I just got my stages two weeks ago. Could not be more pleased.
My bikes still running older Shimano 6600 SL
I wanted power also on the cheap, so I picked up the closeout 105 5700 for $370.
I love that I now know what kind of #'s I can put down...great training tool.

I'm just disappointed I had to spend more on the Garmin 520 bundle then what I got the PM for... but oh well.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I missed the closeout link on their site. I'll have to keep an eye on that. Looking for Ultegra in 175.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts