Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I plan on going over to see a couple stages of the TdG, we will be there from tuesday through thursday,staying in Alpharetta, I was thinking i'd like to catch the start of stage 1, end of stage 2, and either start or finish of stage 3. I've heard traffic is really bad, should we park away and ride to the start or finish, or is it best to catch a stage somewhere along the route. We're looking for rides tue.-thur. in between the race. Looking for any info you can pass along. Please give some ideas of some routes of about 50miles distance, something with some nice climbs. Basicly what would you do if you only had those three days to ride and catch some of the race?

Kevin

·
Registered
931 Posts
Kevin, I just sent you a PM. Anyhow, check out www.sadlebred.com. It's got everything cycling-wise for Atlanta. There's a link there for rides, and it gives the details about evening training rides each night of the week. You can email her, too, and I'm sure she'd answer any questions. She helped me out a lot when I thought I was moving to Atlanta. Found out last week it's now Ft. Worth. You going to the training race tomorrow?

Later, brah.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hope you don't mind if I hitch this question on to your thread:

I'm contemplating watching the start of Saturday's stage from Blairsville, watch some more when the race cicles back through town around 1:00, and then take back roads over to Brasstown Bald and try to ride up the Bald as far as I can before the race comes in.(the race goes down to Helen and is not expected to finish until 3:15 - 4:00.

To you locals: does that sound doable? Any route suggestions? And how much climbing on the way back...I won't have much left for legs after I climb BB and then stand around for an unknown period of time.

Also, Friday's stage: the last 2 years we watched from Woody's Gap. Thinking of watching at Wolf Pen this year. Any thoughts on that? Parking issues?

Any other tips on fun stuff to do in the evening on Fri. appreciated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Try Hogpen Gap...

I parked there last year to watch the Brasstown Bald stage. No problem parking along side the road. You can park and ride up and down Hog Pen gap to your heart's content (7 miles, average 7% grade). Hog Pen Gap is a short ride from Helen Ga. Great ride.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts