Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built up a NOS Merckx MXL last year with full Campy Centaur 10 speed silver components. The only aspect of the build I've wanted to change is the wheels. I currently ride 32 hole Centaur hubs with CXP33 rims. I just don't think they complete the look of the bike properly with the deeper dish rim. I recently bought a set of 36 hole Chorus hubs I'd like to build up myself to complement the bike properly. I've been thinking of a set of Ambrosio Excellence hubs in silver as I'm firmly in the clincher camp. I know that doesn't quite go with the look I want as I should go with tubbies, but that's just not an option.

What other hubs should I be considering to complete this wheelset?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
how about polished silver record hubset (9/10speed era)?

I just purchased one, comes with NOS Ambrosio Excellence in red, 32 spokes.
hopefully it matches my MXL :D

·
Registered
891 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just went through a similar decision process and looked at the Velocity Razor which someone on here suggested. Looked like a really nice rim, but I needed 28H in silver, so I ended up with DT Swiss RR415, which might be a taller profile than what you're wanting. Lots of folks on the Retro forum like the Mavic Open Pro, but I decided against 'em because there were some mentions here about eyelet rattle.

Good luck!

·
Registered
891 Posts
The Velocity Synergy also looks nice and is about 18mm deep, but it is 23mm wide. If you would consider a wide rim it is a good option. It is available in 36 holes. I think a polished silver rim would look nicer on a retro bike than a gray DT Swiss or Open Pro rim.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Good choice

Mav- you're gonna like those wheels. I'm currently on Excellence, Campag Record 9/10 era hubs, 36 and 3x for my daily rider. Bought them in London on EBay UK about 8 years ago and they're bullet proof. I also have 3 pairs of 32 hole Excellence rims, red, blue and black which I will be building up with Campag Record/Chorus/Centaur 9/10 hubs and DT db or Sapim Laser spokes.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Good luck with the silver rims

I don't recall ever seeing the Excellence rims in silver. I've had them in black, red and blue. They also made them in a color called citron.

I'd go with Campag Record/Chorus/Centaur from the 9/10 era, around 2002-2006. The axle, bearings and cones are the same for all models. There is a minor difference in the locking collar. Record and Chorus have an allen nut while Centaur uses a phillips screw. Also the hub shells are slightly different finish and Record having the oil hole and cover. QR skwers are also different. Centaur is the best value and prices, after spiking the past few years have moderated.

I'm building up a retro/modern steel bike, custom Kalavinka frame and wanted silver rims. Pretty much the only widely available option in new and NOS is the Mavic Open Pro. I just completed the build using Centaur hubs, 32 hole, 3x and DT Comp spokes.

ECF said:
I've been thinking of a set of Ambrosio Excellence hubs in silver as I'm firmly in the clincher camp.
What other hubs should I be considering to complete this wheelset?

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
boneman,

thanks! this will be my first Ambrosio, previously had the Open Pro, CXP33 with Dura-Ace hubs (prior to converting to Campy)

was looking at the black Excellence initially (understated), but i think the Ambrosio red looks better (bling!)

will post an updated pic of my MXL on the Merckx forum once it arrives.

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
here's the pic, Campagnolo Record silver hubs with Ambrosio Excellence (red) rims, Merckx MXL.
old tech it may be, but Record stainless steel bearings are simply fantastic, i would say better than the Shamal Ultra 2-way USB bearings.

cheers!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Suhweet!

Ahh, they look great on the Max Merckx. Personally, I'd stick with the OEM skewers but that's just my taste. Nice job!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts