Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have never bought a bike before, and truly know close to nothing about it. I do love to cycle and can do about 30 miles in 1.5 hours, so I'm not bad at it. I want something sturdy that can handle some city riding, but i also want to be able to hit the open road. I don't want flat bars. What are some best value bikes in this range? Should I be setting my sights a little higher than this?
Thanks,
Taylor

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Buy used or save your cash.

Use the search function. This same topic has been done 100's of times (not a complaint to you). Also read some of the stickies in Beginner's Corner. There are geniuses over there!

·
Registered
11 Posts
yea, save up or buy used. a basic 800 dollar bike would come with most likely tiagra and sora components. I personally say nothing less then 105 components. I've built up a budget madone 5.5 for 1100. That includes a $160 Mavic Wintech Computer. So right at about a 1000. Full 105 components. I promise it is like night and day, i didnt want to spend alot of money so I went and bought a cheap wal-mart schwinn varsity. It is crap, cheap components, i should've saved my money and put that 200 towards a good bike, that's 200 i would've had for my madone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
bikes direct is another option. I have a friend that rides a Motobecane he got off that site and he smokes me on our hill rides. He also grew up riding mountains, but like Lance said... Its not about the bike!

Get a tank for your first bike. How tall are you and what is your inseam (standing flat foot - ground to inside of groin)

Road Options
699 Option

Cyclecross
799 Option

Ebay? - So many options
Example

·
Registered
296 Posts
Maybe it's best if you would get it used, so try ebay.

Taylor Snipes said:
Hello,
I have never bought a bike before, and truly know close to nothing about it. I do love to cycle and can do about 30 miles in 1.5 hours, so I'm not bad at it. I want something sturdy that can handle some city riding, but i also want to be able to hit the open road. I don't want flat bars. What are some best value bikes in this range? Should I be setting my sights a little higher than this?
Thanks,
Taylor

·
Registered
269 Posts
Try Craigslist and then do a search on reviews if you see something there, obviously it will help to know in advance what size frame you are going to need. But, I see a lot of good stuff on Craigs and with this economy there is going to be more stuff getting listed as well.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Taylor Snipes said:
Hello,
Thanks,
Taylor
Your best bet is to the cheapest bike with the best frame possible so you can minor upgrades as your interest develops. Where I live you can get a brand new 2009 Cannondale Synapse or CAAD 9 for $850.
http://cyclecraft.com/itemlist.cfm?category=46
Either bike rocks and you can search the Cannondale threads here who will say the same. At $850 you get a store and mfr warranty plus a very good first bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
+1 on nothing wrong with Sora and Tiagra. I picked up a Giant OCR for $700 last year as a way to get some pedalling in when I can't go mountain biking. I really enjoyed riding the road and logged about 1,000 miles last year. I have Sora in the rear and Tiagra for shifters. They work fine. Keep'm clean and tuned and they will be fine. I do the same thing with my MB, I run fairly low end stuff because I beat the hell out of them. I enjoy tuning the bike so I don't mind tinkering once in a while. Really though, the road bike does not take much of a beating.

·
Registered
26 Posts
you can go to a second hand shop for a second hand bicycle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts