Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Drink More Maté!
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like Scottsdale Road is the best route, but is it rideable? I have a route planned (on the AZ Canal) from West Phoenix to Scottsdale Road, but I wanted to get some opinions on whether its a good idea to ride on that road.

Cheers

KavuRider

·
Registered
67 Posts
Scottsdale road is getting really bad and I wouldn't ride it (unless the road was closed to traffic). IIRC the AZ canal intersects central south of Dunlap.

Take AZ canal to Central Ave, turn left. Turn right on Hatcher. Turn left onto Cave Creek. Keep going straight on Cave Creek and you'll eventually hit the intersection of Cave Creek and Scottsdale Rd (which is right on the border of Carefree). Continue on Cave Creek for more climbing (and then turn around) or turn right onto Scottsdale then right onto carefree highway and then left back onto cave creek.

Once you get past the 101 Cave Creek is an excellent ride, but the wind has been really nasty these past few weeks so be careful. If it's windy in town it will be REALLY windy out on Cave Creek.

The section of Cave Creek between Hatcher and Bell can be pretty busy, but there's a fairly wide bike lane available for the entire stretch.

I do this ride a lot from downtown phoenix and it's one of my favorites. Lots of options for 2.5 - 5 hour rides. PM me if you are interested in some ways to loop back around through Scottsdale and Paradise Valley.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts