Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Well Ive started the process for my first road bike and I'm looking for some comparable models to try out. I plan on using the bike to commute (40km one way) on a regualr basis.
Was doing 24km one way commute on a mountain bike and recently moved a little further away...With just getting married and buying a house my budget is limited to $1400(max).

Bike shop # 1: Devinci Caribou; dont know if the lbs offered this cause it was in stock, but, the sales pitch ws just in case you want to go off road or bumby roads also Im 230lbs (not fat!) The cockpit felt a little small (XL) but Im used to riding a MTB, should I be stretched out or arms more bent??

Second Bike he showed me was Jamis Satellite w/ skinny tires (not a cross bike) Dont know anything about the Jamis brand, did not seem to be as nicely spec'd as the Devinci.

Checking out another shop tonight and Thursday....

Im guessing there is a huge weight difference between a cyclo-cross and road specific...

My primary use will be commuting, second long distance rides..I'll call it Brewery Rides...Creemore, Guelph etc, also now Im in the Milton area and see lots of group rides in the area of mixed skill riders that I wouldnt mind joining.

So are there any models you would recommend I try, fitting for height is easy, but Im curious on what is better for reach fitting (top tube length?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, hope to see you on the roads soon

Cheers
(GO ENGLAND!)

· confirmed masher
1,712 Posts
smiley said:
Hey all,

Well Ive started the process for my first road bike and I'm looking for some comparable models to try out. I plan on using the bike to commute (40km one way) on a regualr basis.
Was doing 24km one way commute on a mountain bike and recently moved a little further away...With just getting married and buying a house my budget is limited to $1400(max).

Bike shop # 1: Devinci Caribou; dont know if the lbs offered this cause it was in stock, but, the sales pitch ws just in case you want to go off road or bumby roads also Im 230lbs (not fat!) The cockpit felt a little small (XL) but Im used to riding a MTB, should I be stretched out or arms more bent??

Second Bike he showed me was Jamis Satellite w/ skinny tires (not a cross bike) Dont know anything about the Jamis brand, did not seem to be as nicely spec'd as the Devinci.

Checking out another shop tonight and Thursday....

Im guessing there is a huge weight difference between a cyclo-cross and road specific...

My primary use will be commuting, second long distance rides..I'll call it Brewery Rides...Creemore, Guelph etc, also now Im in the Milton area and see lots of group rides in the area of mixed skill riders that I wouldnt mind joining.

So are there any models you would recommend I try, fitting for height is easy, but Im curious on what is better for reach fitting (top tube length?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, hope to see you on the roads soon

Cheers
(GO ENGLAND!)
haha, hey smiley... england indeed... if only they weren't so crap.:aureola:

is there any reason u really need a road bike for a commuter? i only ask because the increase is only 16km, i'm just wondering if it would be that much better and worth your money. or if you want to get there a bit faster. also, how long does it take for you to do the 24km commute now? what kind of road do you travel on when you commute? you should ride your mountain bike on the route you'll be going to get familiar with the terrain. will it be all gravel or a Multi Use Track?

it would be a little easier for us to help you if you posted the specs of the bikes you are looking at, sicne we don't really know all the bikes off by heart, nor have the time to search it ;) also, try asking guys in the Commuter forum, they are doing similar if not bigger distances than you daily. with your budget i dont' know if it's the best idea to get a roadbike, especially if you have no problems with your mtn bike... best wait for easier times and save up and buy a nice ole' bike aka 105 and up for the bike rides. oh, and your shop should fit you, there is also a fitting guide that you can use as a 'guideline' at www.wrenchscience.com i think. it hsould give you an idea how how you should fit/size. i don't know if you are a gadget geek like many of us here, but once you get a road bike you will want all the accessories, clothing, and upgrades until you realise your frame is not worth it, then have to buy a new bike. its really expensive and your budget will spiral out of control if you can't help it. i don't mean to turn you away but just lookin out from a different perspetive for you.

· Registered
60 Posts
I personally think most bikes esp. at $1000 or more will be good. I simply went to my favourite long time bike store and had the owner showed me several bikes in my price range. Was able to try out some demos too. Re-My in Streetsville, Mississauga is the place if you want to know. Of course there are other great bike stores in GTA area.
That probably would be your best bet as a first time bike roadie, go to a reputable store and describe your needs to the sales rep.
Good Luck!

· Registered
252 Posts
well

You have a mtb already do pass on the hybrid (sp).........Devinci cross or road would be good choice at that price range.........the only advice I would offer is to get at least 105 level groupo.......even if it costs you a little more.......anythinig less than 105 will only leave you wanting something better next year as 200k a week will soon add up to worn components......IMO

How much luggage or crap will you need to commute with........?? If your travelling light then get the road bike........do you need a rack....??

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its done

Well after trying many bikes, I have decided to go with a Specialized Allez w/ 105 group. components.
Had my first ride yesterday...must say Im impressed.

Biggest reason for going with the Allez, most of the other bikes I tried, just felt really compact, where as the Allez I felt stretched out and more comfortable.

As for the commute, my wife I and work close to each other so I basically commute with a support car:D

Cheers for the replies, Id say Go England, but the Oscar went to C.Ronaldo today,

So...Happy Canada Day instead...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.