Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums, but have been searching/reading through here for the last few days. I've read the stickies, and did some shopping at my LBS.

These are what I have come up with around my budget. Looking for opinions and suggestions please.

Trek 1.2 - $700
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...d/1_series/12/

Cannondale Synapse Sport 3 or 4 (07 Model) - Roughly $700
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...el-7RAY3T.html
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...el-7RAY4T.html

Jamis Ventura Sport - $550
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...urasport.html#

This will be my first road bike, and I know that from these bikes I can choose between Sora and Tiagra components depending on what I choose. I'm not 100% sure I can get the Cannondales for 700, but they should be roughly around there. I want to use the bike for exercise at first, but want to leave room for the opportunity of getting really serious.

Has anyone used these bikes? A testimonial or a review would be great to help me narrow my search.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
Those bikes are designed for the exercise side, not the "getting really serious" side. However, the more you can invest in a bike now, it will save you money in the long term. It is more expensive to upgrade, than to buy what you want to start with. If that means waiting a bit and saving some more money, that is something to consider if you really think you will want to get more serious. That said, those are fine recreational bikes, and at that price they can get you into the sport. After a year or two you might consider a more expensive bike for the getting serious part, and use this one as an around town commuter or bad weather training bike. Remember fit is VERY important.
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,745 Posts
Any of those bikes is a fine ride, and arguably better quality in every respect than the pro's were riding just a few years ago.

You'd have to really be "serious" before you _need_ to upgrade anything. Sure you'll want to swap pedals, saddle, but the core bikes are fine.

Joker is right, there are better values on ebay, _if_ you know what you're doing. If this is your first quality bike, I don't recommend it. Take the support that a LBS can offer with a new bike, get over the steepest part of the learning curve, then in a year or 4 you can cruise the interwebs looking for your blinged-out next bike.

/edit: to answer your question, if your budget has a firm upper limit, get the Jamis so you'll have room for a seatbag, shorts, gloves, helmet etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SleeveleSS said:
Those bikes are designed for the exercise side, not the "getting really serious" side. However, the more you can invest in a bike now, it will save you money in the long term. It is more expensive to upgrade, than to buy what you want to start with. If that means waiting a bit and saving some more money, that is something to consider if you really think you will want to get more serious. That said, those are fine recreational bikes, and at that price they can get you into the sport. After a year or two you might consider a more expensive bike for the getting serious part, and use this one as an around town commuter or bad weather training bike. Remember fit is VERY important.
Thanks a lot for your insight. It's a great help.
I did not realize that they were all exercise bikes. I had thought that by upping the budget a bit, they would actually be pretty good bikes. With that in mind, I'll reevaulate how much I want to spend. I might just go with the lower buy if I can't stretch out the extra $150.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Creakyknees said:
/edit: to answer your question, if your budget has a firm upper limit, get the Jamis so you'll have room for a seatbag, shorts, gloves, helmet etc.
That is exactly what I was going towards. I believe I am just going to go with Jamis for $550 because I need the extra cash to purchase all the listed accessories.

Most importantly, will I be missing out on a lot if I do not go with the Tiagra components? I didn't calculate tax into the final price, but would I be better off just going for the $150 upgrade?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way, but , you dont have any experience or feel to compare tiagra to ultegra, to 105, etc. Just spend what you can to get into it, including all the little extras no one thinks about. Seat bag, tube, inflation device, tire irons, shorts, shoes, etc. Just get to pedaling, and if you get hooked, and decide to upgrade at some point think how sweet it will feel when you get really good components.
 

·
What it is
Joined
·
705 Posts
Newbie? Find a good LBS

Creakyknees said:
Joker is right, there are better values on ebay, _if_ you know what you're doing. If this is your first quality bike, I don't recommend it. Take the support that a LBS can offer with a new bike, get over the steepest part of the learning curve, then in a year or 4 you can cruise the interwebs looking for your blinged-out next bike.
I agree with Creaky. You need to find a LBS that you can trust and use their help in finding a fair deal in terms of fit, components, and riding goals. Even lower-end decent components can last a long time with care. I have a 20-year-old Specialized Rockhopper that has most of the original components and I ride it every year as a MUT/townie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HevyHittr said:
Dont take this the wrong way, but , you dont have any experience or feel to compare tiagra to ultegra, to 105, etc. Just spend what you can to get into it, including all the little extras no one thinks about. Seat bag, tube, inflation device, tire irons, shorts, shoes, etc. Just get to pedaling, and if you get hooked, and decide to upgrade at some point think how sweet it will feel when you get really good components.
No offense taken! :)
I just didn't want to lose out on a $700 deal that included Tiagra parts, and only cost me $150 more. But, like you said, I won't know the difference- and may not even get too into it.

With that said, I think I'm going to keep the budget for the bike lower, and will use the other money for accessories/apparel.


Thanks!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top