Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
1. I'll give you the same advice I gave to someone earlier today in another thread:

The A group is generally the fastest group. B refers to a slower group, and so on and so forth.

oroy38 said:
I would recommend sticking with the B group until you're confident with your ability to ride in a pack before you start checking out the A group now and then. Riding in a slower group at a bit of an easier pace is a pretty different dynamic from riding at almost full on race pace in a group.

One thing to note is that the space between riders in faster more experienced groups is even smaller, so if you're not completely smooth, controlled, and predictable, bad things can happen. I don't mean to downplay your riding ability, for all I know, you could be a superb bike handler. However, you've only completed your first group ride. Nothing is worse than having someone in an experienced group who has more speed than skill, because that poses a danger to yourself and the other riders.

So, to summarize:
Ride with B group until you're confident of pack riding skills.

After group riding skills are built up, check out the A group every few rides, or ride with them until you blow up, then get caught by the B group and finish.
2. Based on your weight and your average mph, you're doing very well.

3. Basic group ride etiquette boils down to one simple rule: Don't be an idiot.

Anything you think might be questionable to do during a group ride probably is.

Examples: Slamming your brakes, not holding your line, letting gaps open up, overlapping wheels, passing on the right, etc.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.