Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy new bike ,Scott Speedster 40 or 50. I'm looking for a faster bike, my current bike is a flat bar road with 52-42-30 front gears, 700-28c tires. Speedster 40 has a 50-34 front gear, the Speedster 50 has the same gears as my current bike .both Speedsters come with 700 23c tires. . So my question is , which bike will be the faster bike going down a MUT trail, the 40 or the 50?. My current bike is a Ibex Corrida CT . which is 5 years old, only paid $ 300.00 for it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I would love to live anywhere where you can go fast on these trails, I live close by a great system but I rarely take a road bike on them, kids, joggers, pushchairs, horses, road crossings. I don't mind them on an MTB straight bars and no clips with a kid maybe. If you really want to go faster, you need to be out on the road.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looking to buy new bike ,Scott Speedster 40 or 50. I'm looking for a faster bike, my current bike is a flat bar road with 52-42-30 front gears, 700-28c tires. Speedster 40 has a 50-34 front gear, the Speedster 50 has the same gears as my current bike .both Speedsters come with 700 23c tires. . So my question is , which bike will be the faster bike going down a MUT trail, the 40 or the 50?. My current bike is a Ibex Corrida CT . which is 5 years old, only paid $ 300.00 for it.
How much difference is there between the 40 and 50 really?
you might as well change the cassette and cranks on your current bike if that is the only difference you are chasing

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Cervelo S5

With Zipp 404s

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would love to live anywhere where you can go fast on these trails, I live close by a great system but I rarely take a road bike on them, kids, joggers, pushchairs, horses, road crossings. I don't mind them on an MTB straight bars and no clips with a kid maybe. If you really want to go faster, you need to be out on the road.
+1
Current Scott web page says both bikes are triples.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I have met the devil and her name is Venge.

The fastest bike known to men. Let everyone believe what they will, this is the fastest. View attachment 281236

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
As far as aero goes. Answers are mixed because companies are subject to fabricating results.

iirc, VeloNews had the Cervelo S3 as their most aero roadbike, and they tested that just before the S5 released, so we're just led to believe it's even better.

Giant's pushing their new Propel as a better aerodynamic all-rounder across yaw angles relative to the wind.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
the 50 would be faster with the 52T chainring..... this is only if you can muster the power and endurance to push it.

on a MUT... they tend to have speed limits, for safety of all users.

If you're doing a hammer-fest keep it off the MUT and do it on the road.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I would love to live anywhere where you can go fast on these trails, I live close by a great system but I rarely take a road bike on them, kids, joggers, pushchairs, horses, road crossings. I don't mind them on an MTB straight bars and no clips with a kid maybe. If you really want to go faster, you need to be out on the road.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/mNkDb" vspale=0></iframe>
I agree same here

·
downhill quickly
755 Posts
Throwing this ^ in by Alfonsina yet again.

Please read and heed OP

·
Proud luddite
7,268 Posts
In 1995 Fred Rompelberg rode this baby at 166 mph, setting a speed record that still stands today. So if you want a fast bike, get one of these. (I do suggest that you not ride it at 166 mph on the MUT....the others on the trail may not appreciate that so much.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.