Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through a few saddles before settling on two models that I generally like.

1) Selle SMP Glider. (link)
2) Selle San Marco Superleggera. (100% carbon fiber, no padding or cover).

They have the same shape and support my sit bones nearly the same, so I don't want to change that.

The Glider is too heavy, too soft, and the leather creates friction for long rides.
The SSM is too hard for absorbing unseen bumps and rough roads, but I prefer it a bit over the Glider.

I'm building another bike and I'd like a saddle of the same style but with a bit of firm padding to help absorb the inevitable jolts. Suggestions appreciated.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
The Essax Shark saddle is an interesting concept and certainly makes you concentrate more on keeping your hips straight in the saddle. The ride is nowhere near as uncomfortable as you’d expect, and performance good.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Newbie here
What's the function of the fin in the middle
Looks incredibly uncomfortable
allows the saddle complete dominion over you. it's the #1 saddle with submissives, according to S&M Roadie Quarterly. Also comes in red and "spiked."

Reactions: Keoki

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Newbie here
What's the function of the fin in the middle
Looks incredibly uncomfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It provides the best stability when your tucked in the Froome aero position.

Butt you're right, it is incredibly uncomfortable when you sit on it and is not recommended for people with hemorrhoids as per the manufacturer.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I went through a few saddles before settling on two models that I generally like.

1) Selle SMP Glider. (link)
2) Selle San Marco Superleggera. (100% carbon fiber, no padding or cover).

They have the same shape and support my sit bones nearly the same, so I don't want to change that.

The Glider is too heavy, too soft, and the leather creates friction for long rides.
The SSM is too hard for absorbing unseen bumps and rough roads, but I prefer it a bit over the Glider.

I'm building another bike and I'd like a saddle of the same style but with a bit of firm padding to help absorb the inevitable jolts. Suggestions appreciated.
If you like the shape of those saddles, try searching for similar width and shape saddles. If you can find a shop that will let you demo one, that makes it easier. Finding saddle nirvana isn't all that easy. You just have to keep experimenting.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that it's much more about bibshorts that saddle. For me it most certainly is anyway.
I can go 150 with some shorts in perfect comfort. Others are like sitting on a hatchet after 35 or so. Same saddle.

Not that that helps because finding the right shorts is also a crap shoot but just keep in mind that it's not just about the saddle so you may be trying to fix the part that's not broken.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Repeat after me: There is nothing wrong with your seat. Your fit is just off.

Applies to 92.782365% of all "saddle" threads.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I can go 150 with some shorts in perfect comfort. Others are like sitting on a hatchet after 35 or so. Same saddle.
I know what you mean - I have some lighter Castellis that don't have impressive chamois but they are less bunched when I'm down and cranking on shorter rides. For longer casual rides I have some well padded Giordanas I prefer.

The solid carbon saddle seems to be the best fit; the only issue I have is it absorbs no shock. It makes bumpy roads a bit miserable and if I miss a joint or pothole in the pavement it leaves my sitbones tender from the impact.

Repeat after me: There is nothing wrong with your seat. Your fit is just off.

Applies to 92.782365% of all "saddle" threads.
If you intend to sound condescending, I can offer private tutoring. Just message me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts