Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
white trash
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am a long time lurker who has finally found a good reason to post up. I have learned a ton from the form. I have been road riding for the past twenty years or so, and find it to be a hell of a lot of fun.
My ten year old daughter has been mountain biking for two years now and loves the sport, she would love it anyway but I think the biggest reason she is so into it is the availability of good equipment. She has a Scott Scale Jr. and it only weighs about 17 pounds. She shreds on that thing, winning races most weekends and having a blast with her friends on the single track all week.
At the local race this weekend, he was talking to some of the Junior Expert girls and they were all telling her how they train on the road quite a bit and love it. (Be still my overjoyed heart!!)
She has shied away from road cycling because at least at our LBS the 24" wheel road bikes, if there are any, really suck. They are heavy and have crappy components (she knows the difference). We have done our online research and have found a few bikes that seem to rock.
Our thought is that there must be some great kids bikes out there that have either been less than over used or have been loved the way that she loves her Scott that are ready to be handed on. We are in no way looking for freebies, just something gently loved that maybe isn't full price.Below is what we have come up with as some hot bikes, but we are not limited to this, any opinions would come in handy and I would love to hear if there is anything out there.

Bianchi Jnr 24
Giant TCR JR
Felt F24
Trek KDR 1000
Redline Conquest 24
Ibex Vantage Jay Vee???

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wish my 9 yr. old would want to ride more on her own, I'm jealous.:D All my daughter want to do is ride on our tandem. I should be glade of that at least. We do 1000 miles a year and about 7-8 time trials.

The shop I race for has a really cool Torrelli (sp?) kids size bike. Not sure on the wheel size, maybe 650. I know it's built up with all Ultegra except the crank. I think the crank is something smaller than what you can get in Ultegra. Here's the web site were you can get the number. Roger is who you will talk to. He's not open every day, so just give it a few tries and mention my name. I think he ships bikes.

http://www.iprobikeshop.com/store/index.php?main_page=index

Forgot to mention, it's used but in great shape. Red with yellow acsents. Very Itailian looking. If my daughter would ride her own bike, it would be in my garage in a heartbeat.

Good luck
Shayne

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
Check out Fuji. They have a well-equipped kids-sized road bike that is decently priced. It comes with either the 24 inch wheels or the 650c size.

My 7 year-old loves his Redline Conquest 24. I looked for that for over a year, but got a new one for $250. Deals are out there.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
I don't think I've seen a child (under high school age, at least) riding anything that could remotely be called a "road bike" in the last 25 years. And, back before that time, most of those rides were cheap department store road bike look-alikes.

·
white trash
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, we are still on the hunt. We just spent a week in NY and got to try most of the bikes above, some are surely better than others but they are not cheap. Fuji is on the list for sure as they have a great bike that is sort of reasonably priced. We liked the redline as well. Dave, we have quite a few kids here that ride any bike you will give them and are really good at it too! Haley just wants to go fast and the mountain bike does not fit the bill on the road.

I guess we were hoping there was something used out there that could be recycled. Not so much to save money but to keep a good bike out of the landfill.

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
I don't think I've seen a child (under high school age, at least) riding anything that could remotely be called a "road bike" in the last 25 years. And, back before that time, most of those rides were cheap department store road bike look-alikes.
If you are ever around southern Arizona I can show you three kids (all under 10) riding real road bikes. I know of several more that ride as well. In fact, my kids rode to work with me this morning, starting at 5:00, just because they thought it would be fun. It was fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.