Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
terzo rene said:
Since Ullrich, Basso, Vino, Mancebo, and 50 others are all apparently not going to be riding things are looking up for The Floyd.

I wonder how many riders will finish in Paris? 35?
It will be interesting to see how he goes. He was dropped on the Ventoux stage of the Dauphine when the peloton was still 30 or 40 riders strong. After that, who knows if he was just soft-pedaling or not? I suspect so. Regardless, his form really needs to improve from where it was a few weeks ago if he is going to contend. On top of that, although his name hasn't been linked to the Spanish affair certainly Phonak has so if he was counting on a boost for the Tour it might not be forthcoming. Then again, Fuentes operation can't be the only one of it's kind in Europe or maybe Floyd is actually racing clean.

·
It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
maybe he was having a bad day

Dwayne Barry said:
After that, who knows if he was just soft-pedaling or not? I suspect so. Regardless, his form really needs to improve from where it was a few weeks ago if he is going to contend. .
according to his director he was but.... I am sure he was soft pedaling because he is going to try to sneak past CSC and TMOB fighting it out with each other. It appears he is trying to stay off the radar so that he doesn't get marked. His interviews and behavior seem to reflect that. He's got a 90vomax and he sure played it well on Brasstown Bald against a premier climber.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
dagger said:
according to his director he was but.... I am sure he was soft pedaling because he is going to try to sneak past CSC and TMOB fighting it out with each other. It appears he is trying to stay off the radar so that he doesn't get marked. His interviews and behavior seem to reflect that. He's got a 90vomax and he sure played it well on Brasstown Bald against a premier climber.
We'll see. He's definitely a contender without Basso and Ullrich there but I would easily put 10-15 other guys in with an equal chance. I'm sure his VO2max hasn't changed much after so many years of training and it was only good enough for a 9th place last year :)

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
dlbcx said:
This affair could open the door for Valverde or, even Mayo, to take a shot at the podium.
This has opened the door for at least 10-15 guys, maybe more to have a realistic shot at the podium. Not to mention with no clear favorites the race may not be well controlled leaving the door open for a "Voeckler" to sneak into a high position.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Mosovich said:
to see if the times of the stages are slower now and the rides up the climbs slower since the top guys won't get their dope. I say Floyd 1st, then Levi, then Sostre. Should be a great tour!!
Let's be rational here. The Puerto operation almost certainly isn't the only one of its kind, not to mention, your garden variety non-transfusion based doping programs. The "top guys" are probably going to excluded (Ullrich & Basso), that doesn't mean the new top guys are riding dope-free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.