Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a mini van (death) and need to carry a carbon frame bike (as well as some alum. and other).

I'd like to attach to the hitch point, but my understanding is that carbon frames are better off supported at the dropouts instead of the frame.
What good/value mounts are available for this set-up?

On a similar note...my workstand clamps to the seatpost and/or downtube...what is the best point of attachment for a carbon frame?

·
Diphthong
4,989 Posts
I just purchased a Thule T2 and it works really well. It will also fold up when not in use. I used to have a clamp-type rack but wanted something different when I went with a carbon fiber frame. The thought of tightening those screws/plates down on the top tube gave me the willys every time. I kept waiting for a crunching sound.

Another benefit of the T2 over my old rack is how stable it is. On my old rack bungee cords were needed for any drive. With the T2, no bungees and the bikes just don't move.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the Sportworks - now called the T2 since Thule bought them. This rack holds most any bike very well. There are some issues I've discovered over the years though(had mine 5 years). When you put bikes of similar size on generally you have to lower or remove saddles since the other bikes bars hit on the saddle. I have the 4 bike extension and the extra weight is an issue over time. The pivot on the rack begins to sag causing the rack to ride low and bounce some. The latest issue I've had is when the rack is folded on the back of the car. This blocks the license plate and has caused me to be pulled over and told I can't have the rack on the car unless its folded down.

Over all a great product. I have tried to get support from Thule thought and they were not helpful in the least bit. My next rack will be Yakima.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Look at Hollywood. They have a hitch mounted 2 bike rack that uses the dropouts for the front and a strap over the rear wheel, just like most of the roof racks. Gets excellent ratings. I've used mine about a dozen times so far and no problems at all. Secure, little vibration, easy on/off.

·
Registered
289 Posts
1. doug928 is right.

2. I bought a 2in locking pin from ( Masterlock) at Walmart yesterday. It cost me $13.00 and they had many differant types.

3. If anybody is looking for a Thelma 3, I just got one for $240.00 delivered to my door from [email protected] . Email them or call them and offer them $240.00 and they will accept it for a 2in or a 1.25 size.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.