Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Active
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a good 58-59cm CX bike for sale or a shop running a special? Iooking for something to use as a fireroad assault vehicle! I really like the Lemond Poprad, but finding a used one may be hard. Thanks

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
what is your budget?

there's a few deals around.

·
Registered
85 Posts
for bombing fire roads, you may do what i've done. it's a cheap, custom and cool solution but it takes time.

i garbaged picked an old road frame (ishiwata tubed bianchi). it fit me well and the relaxed touring position lended itself to a good cx position. i sanded the frame, removed all of the excess bits and brazed on new ones (literally a few bucks and a six pack at the local bike shop).

after we've brazed on brake bosses and new cable stops, i'm in the process of building the frame with bits and pieces from old mountain and road bike projects from the past.

so far i have about 60 bucks into the bike (new wcs threaded headset, brake levers and off brand handlbar). i'm estimating another 170 for tires (tubeless vittorias from nashbar), a wheel build (at an amazing 15 bucks per wheel from albe's bike shop near detroit) and a powdercoat (40 bucks, courtesy of fox screen door factory in hazel park, michigan).

double butted spokes cost me a little bit extra, but i was able to buy bulk cheap and sell the rest on ebay.

all in all, i think i'll have about 320-375 dollars into this bike. some say i'm crazy for putting all this time into a 21 year old (and hardly collectable) bike. i say i'll have a 20 lb cyclocross bike that i built myself for well under 400 bucks. should serve me well in my next adventure race in may.

hope this can shed some light on your project, r

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
You

vcyclist said:
$700 to $1500 the later being a new bike.

can find one, I just picked up a 2005 Kona JTS for 750 shipped with great components and low miles...so you can find one...check out the RBR classifieds...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I can assure you that there is no better bike for fire road riding that a used Eddy Merckx Corsa model in your normal road size with 25C tires. There is enough clearance for the tires, it is comfortable to ride and is built to take a pounding. I take mine out in the woods all the time, it simply rocks.

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
commuter73 said:
all in all, i think i'll have about 320-375 dollars into this bike. some say i'm crazy for putting all this time into a 21 year old (and hardly collectable) bike. i say i'll have a 20 lb cyclocross bike that i built myself for well under 400 bucks. should serve me well in my next adventure race in may.
I love hearing about projects like that. Definitely post some pics when its all done.

·
Active
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

for the tips, that Bianchi looks nice but kind of want to stay with steel for the ride quality. Keep your eyes pealed for me if any of you see something out there. Not sure if I know what you talking about with the Eddy Merckz Corsa, is that a cross bike or a road?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
lemond!

there's a poprad in the <a href="http://classifieds.consumerreview.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=Road&website=RoadbikeReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=58338&query=retrieval">classifieds</a>, its a 57cm but check the tt length, it might work for you. the usual disclaimer applies, no relation to seller etc. just saw it and read the thread, thought it was topical.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
don't count out Scandium

I have a Cross Concept and you'd be suprised how nice Scandium feels.

Merckx Corsa is a road bike but quite a good bad road thrasher

1 - 11 of 11 Posts