Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to the road bike thing. I have used my brother's mountain bike for years to commute a bit, but I'm finally investing in my own ride and I've been looking around a bit.

I tend to ride in only one gear (and a pretty low gear at that), so I figured a single-speed would be a nice, fun way to go when purchasing my own ride.

I've looked around and found lots of nice options and was hoping I could get some advice... I'm considering the Raleigh Rush Hour or One Way, Kona's Paddy Wagon, and Schwinn's Le Tour (not single, I know) or Madison, and Jamis' Sputnik.

Anyone have any tips for buying? All are in the same general range with similar features, but I really don't know what's what when I'm looking.

I have seen some positive chat here about the Rush Hour, which I'm leaning towards. But does anyone know much about the One Way? It seems like nearly the same bike, except with the nicer leather seat and handles... it too has some nice reviews on other sites, but not here.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Not much is going to be different about these bikes. Single speed bikes in that price range don't have a lot of room for one to be tons better than another. The new Paddy Wagon looks great, and I was considering an 07 Sputnik (the one with the Easton fork). I would go for the One Way over the Rush Hour. I tested a Rush Hour and had some mad toe overlap in my size, and you don't really need track geometry for the road (I don't understand why they brag about track geometry on their website in the least). You need road geometry for the road, and that's where you're intending to ride. Haven't really looked at the Schwinns.

·
Registered
863 Posts
dc. said:
thanks for the quick input and feedback. i'll probably just look for the best deal i can find between a one way and a paddy wagon.

:)
I think you should expect to pay a bit more for the One Way. With the fenders and the saddle, it seems a bit better specced, but I haven't seen it in person to attest to the quality. I'm a sucker for the Kona's panel paint scheme though. In fact, I think my LBS has one in my size that I might take a look at tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, most of the models i mentioned come with the flip-flop on the back. at least the one way and paddy do, i think.

and i think the one way is about $100 more, ss, but again... same range.

again, thanks to you both for the input. i'm outta my league a bit and looking for any input. tomorrow my bike-happy friend is taking me to the shop. lol

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Where are you going to be riding? Someplace with lot's of rain? Never seen rain?

How are you going to ride? point A to point B? or point A to point A, the long way?

I really like the looks of the Madison, but I don't know about tire clearance or if it can fit fenders. I like the look of the One-Way, alot, I like that it comes with fenders and a brooks saddle. Never seen the Kona so I won't comment on that. The Masi Speciale Fixed and Speciale Commuter both look great as well.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like my Langster quite a bit. I know it's not on your list, but I haven't run into anything I dislike about it yet. If you don't dig the quirky city themes, the plain green one is actually pretty classy looking. Just throwing it out there...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was in the same boat as you a few weeks back and decided on a Felt Dispatch. Two of the main things that convinced me were the aluminum frame and carbon fork. It also has the flip flop rear and fender/rack mounting ability. I just picked it up on Friday and am loving it. The only thing I've done to it is put a set of Shimano 520 clipless pedals on to go with my Adidas El Morro shoes. So far, so good...
http://feltracing.com/08/product.asp?catid=1504,1525&pid=8718

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahhhhhh more options! :) thanks for the help guys... i like the look of both the langster and dispatch. and dispatch is a favorite band... as if that's anyway to buy

and to answer some questions from above, in the least helpful way possible... i'm in the Baltimore/DC area, so we get rain, but not mountains. roads are generally good condition, a little hilly outside the cities, but pretty flat inside. and i plan a solid mix of A-B commuting and A-A just cruising. but that's all just a plan, i hope to be motivated enough to do it.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The real consideration is how you intend to use the bike. The Raleigh Rush Hour is a different bike than the One Way. Ditto the Masi Speciale Fixed from the Speciale Commuter. In the "geared" bike scenario, it's like a race bike vs. a touring bike.

While I can commute on my converted Fuso, the relaxed geometry, the fenders, the slightly more upright riding position of my converted Raleigh, the cusher (finally) Brooks saddle, etc., make it a much better choice for commuting.

I'm glad I have the option because not everybody does (I'm a bike junkie and I work in the business.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not to say any one of these bikes is better than another, but I can vouch for the comfort of an aluminum frame and caron fork. I've had no complaints about my Langster London. It's a flip flop hub, you can mount fenders (certain kinds), and they're spec'd pretty well for around $700. I guess my one complaint might be that being on top of the track bars makes the heels of my hands angle outward a bit, which takes a little getting used to. The regular green Langster has ergo drops, though, so it's not an issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.