Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new bike and have been looking at just about everything and am lost. I am going to use the bike mainly for fitness and century riding, and would like an Ultegra set up. I can spend up to $3000, any suggestions as to where to look?

Thanks,

Jake

· Registered
138 Posts
1. Are you limited to the brands that your LBS carries? If so, what brands?

2. Any preferences in reguards to Steel, Ti, or Carbon frames?

3. Do you have a road bike now? If so, what is it along with what you like and dislike about it.

$3K is pretty wide open to what you can get.

· Banned
476 Posts
Shop - it is worth it

Whatever you decide to spend or type frame you want

Shop dealers and online stores
both have advantages and disadvantages

But when you shop you can weigh the differences

I would also pay more attention to specs than brand
most brands are equal quality and use similar designs

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now I am riding a Surly Cross Check set up for the road. I like the bike, but at 58cm it is a little too small for me (I'm 6'3") and weighs a ton. The wide range available is daunting at the level I can spend on a bike. I am leaning towards carbon fiber or a mix of Al and carbon. I've looked at the Bianchi 928 and the Orbea Mitis, as well as some online carbon bikes (Leopard,Pedal Force). I'd like to go the LBS route so I can test ride w/o too much hassle.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
With 3000.00 dollars you have a tremendous advantage over a lot of people in that you really do have the option of looking at a lot of possibilities. In that price range, I'd start by going to every LBS within an hour of your place and ride everything in the 2000.00 to 3000.00 price range. Heck, might as well throw in some 1500.00 bikes just to see the difference. I totally disagree (and get irritated) with people who suggest bikes are all equal quality, etc. That's not the concern. The concern is more along the lines of how the bike feels. Depending on the design, the material, etc. they can ride completely different from one another. Go out, enjoy the time test riding them. Get down to two or three that you really like and then test ride the heck out of those two or three and decide what you like best. Also, most shops will do a basic fitting for free, so have each shop do that and see how they fit you out. Note differences in how they handle you as a customer and what they tell you. As for specific brands in that price range, there are too many to chose from. Good luck and have fun. I wish I had 3G's to put down on a new bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.