Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Shimano Tiagra brakes. I am wanting to replace the stock Shimano pads with Kool Stop pads. On Kool Stop's website I do not see anything for Shimano other then 'Dura Type'. The Tiagra brake pads are not cartridge type brake pads. So, do I need to buy the Dura Road Holders and the Dura Type Brake pads or I am missing something entirely? :confused:

Cheers

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
No. If you feel that you just to have Kool Stop brake pads, just see if they sell one piece sets. Any one piece set for road bikes will work.

I'm not sure what the pressing need is for pads that will lock up your wheels. I find that my Shimano pads will lock up both front and back whenever I grab a handful.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Samhain said:
I currently have Shimano Tiagra brakes. I am wanting to replace the stock Shimano pads with Kool Stop pads. On Kool Stop's website I do not see anything for Shimano other then 'Dura Type'. The Tiagra brake pads are not cartridge type brake pads. So, do I need to buy the Dura Road Holders and the Dura Type Brake pads or I am missing something entirely? :confused:

Cheers
u need THIS.....

and kool stop has a terrible website....:cryin:

·
Registered
14,776 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello fellow bicyclists, I just joined this board tonight and found this great thread. Thanks to those of you who've chimed in already ... I have the same issue as Samhain (actually it's my wife's bike) and I would like to change out the crappy Tiagra holders and pads her bike came with, and I'm happy to do so with the Kool Stops but I'm concerned about one thing: Are they going to be TOO good for her? Bosax says they can lock up on you, is that a huge problem with these brake pads?

Thought I would also offer that Performance and Nashbar have brake pad offerings as bad as Kool Stop's web site ... none of them offer the prospective customer/buyer any information about what is or isn't compatible. Western Bike Works is a little better ("Replacement pads and holders for Shimano (DuraAce, Ultegra, and 105) and various other road brake sets") but still falls far short -- don't they understand that the people most interested in upgrading are people who have the cheaper sets ... and it's not as if there's a lot of them.

Again, really interested to know if my tiny wife is brawny enough for the Kool Stops, and thanks to all, I think I'll be a regular here!

Since17

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.