Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been getting numbness in the ol' nether regions! I have been looking for a saddle to help alleviate this. I am not looking for a super expensive one...but am weary about getting one online without trying it. Any easy suggestions?

·
Registered
339 Posts
You really need to try saddles for yourself and find a store that will let you try one for like 30 days after purchase so you can take it back if it doesn't work for you. Just take a look at all th saddle threads here and the varied opinions people have, I could tell you one thing and most others would tell you something else.

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
82 Posts
Praetorian27 said:
Lately I have been getting numbness in the ol' nether regions! I have been looking for a saddle to help alleviate this. I am not looking for a super expensive one...but am weary about getting one online without trying it. Any easy suggestions?
Lets consider a few things...

First, the non-saddle related items:

Have you had the bike fitted? Seatpost height, setback, tilt, even stem length and rise all will effect "comfort". Have the bike competently fitted, although somewhat pricey upfront, will hopefully keep you from spending hundreds of dollars on saddles, trying to find one that works. Also, better quality shorts (specifically the chamois) can have an effect also.

Now, saddle related items:

This is when buying from a good local LBS (especially if they did the fit) is a good thing. Most will install the saddle where it should be, and allow you to exchange upon seeing whether the saddle you purchased "works". Now the bad news...my "nether regions" are going to take to different saddles differently that yours. If I recommended a saddle and it worked, it would be dumb luck. Cut out saddles may or may not work well for you. I've had some that were great, and some that were torture devices, just as I've had standard saddles that are good and bad, also.

Start with fit, get your LBS advice, and this should give you a good place to start.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
the good news.....

the cutouts work. I started cycling seriously in 1997. After rides over an hour I was numb- really numb. I bought a cutout saddle and no more numbness. I've used 4 different saddles since, all w/ cutouts. Again, it all depends on your body type for what shape/size will work-
I've used the trans am models from selle italia and currently a performance forte pro saddle that's a bit more minimalist. You wont have numbness, but any of those models may make other parts hurt-- try em out- if you use a certain model you're happy w/ now and it also comes as a cutout model, that may be where you want to start.

good luck!

·
Registered
192 Posts
My experience

I listened to a lot of advice and do have to agree that everybody is different. With this said, here's what happened to me....

Started with a Fizik Arionne which looked great on the bike, but caused me to go numb after about 1.5 hours in the saddle.

Switched it for a Terry Fly. Definitely much softer, but the cutout felt like it was pinching me (I weigh 210 lbs).

Finallly ended up with a Specialized Toupe 143mm saddle. This might not look comfortable, but the saddle has a good amount of flex and the cutout doesn't hurt.

It took me 3 different saddles to find the one I like...but now my backside is much happier at mile post 73!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.