Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Tiagra front and rear with 105 shifters. A couple weeks ago I rode a friends bike who had Ultrega SL brakes and shifters. WOW, what a difference in stopping!! I ride alot in traffic and the ability to stop quickly is very important. Would upgrading just the front and rear brakes to Ultrega SL make a noticeable difference or would I need to upgrade the shifters as well?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Having recently bought a updated bike with 6600 Ultegra, I felt the stopping was quite good-excellent. Much less hand force needed. Thinking this would be a nice change for my vintage rides, I was going to do similar. That auction site Ultegra sells for $60-$70 BTW.

I took my old rides out and did some stopping runs. When I got on it, it stopped comparatively well also. Those bikes have a mix of Koolstop pads, one with the dual compound black/salmon and one black. What my conclusion was is the perception of hand force relative to stopping. I stopped the bikes in the marked distances only the old center pivot brakes needed more effort. The center pivot gave me better feedback relative to slowing-stopping over the dual pivot and that met my preference. YMMV

As the others suggested, try a new pad (There are plenty of pad discussions) and see how that changes. SwissStop, Koolstop... The 10spd Shimano updated compound is nicer than the ones from the 9spd years.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have seen the auctions, and was close to bidding, but decided to seek out advice before a wasted some money. I will give new bad pads (Koolstop) a try first.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Koolstops will make even the "no-name" dual-pivot brakes on most "entry-level" road bikes perform very nicely. It's a recommendation I make to customers looking at their first road bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.