Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was kinda hoping Garmin would make a bid for him. They could use a proven super-domestique with an incredible work ethic.

Does anybody know if because of the demise of the Pro-Tour if team size restrictions are lifted or if that is a UCI thing? Garmin was restricted to 25 max riders because of their pro-cont status. If so, do they go after more than the 1 or 2 they originally talked about?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
coop said:
Does anybody know if because of the demise of the Pro-Tour if team size restrictions are lifted or if that is a UCI thing? Garmin was restricted to 25 max riders because of their pro-cont status.
Well, one presumes the limit is still in place. While the ProTour may be dead, the remainder of the team licensing structure is still intact - so far. It was interesting to note that Astana plans to carry 25 riders. Presumably they will be a Pro Conti team, too.

Good for Horner. It's a great team and will give him a chance to show himself in some good races. Notice that Kloeden re-signed, too.

JSR

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i was kinda sad to see horner on that list again. but he knows what hes doin.

not that theres any proof one way or the other, but having horner on that squad makes me believe astana is getting a bit more clean than what i thought.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Good for Chris.

re: the team rider limit, I think what's happened goes quite a bit beyond "the ProTour is dead" and is edging closer to having a competing licensing body.

In the long run it may end up similar to what was the case for years in BMX, boxing and other sports, a rider / sponsor / team would have to wander thru a maze of options and sanctions to get thru a season. Let's hope not.

You have to do a lot of reading between the lines....
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/protour_affair_complete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.