Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Doesn't look to be any kind of a big deal to me.

rogger said:
Yes, it's here: the first modern virus aimed at Apple computers..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4723390.stm
"Security firms said Leap-A should more properly be described as a worm or trojan rather than a virus because of the way it tries to spread. "

more...

"No threat

The malicious program tries to trick users into installing it and does not exploit any security holes in Apple's OS X operating system. It travels in a file called "latestpics.tgz" and only version 10.4 of OS X is vulnerable to it.

Installing and running the worm requires users to go through several stages and this, along with bugs in Leap-A's code, have led security firms to play down the threat it poses. "

It really doesn't have much in common with all the so called "Virus" codes/programs attacking PCs.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MB1 said:
It really doesn't have much in common with all the so called "Virus" codes/programs attacking PCs.
Cut the guys some slack, they're only just starting to try and target Apples. ;)
I have a feeling this will evolve into something more annoying.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
MB1 said:
"Security firms said Leap-A should more properly be described as a worm or trojan rather than a virus because of the way it tries to spread. "

more...

"No threat

The malicious program tries to trick users into installing it and does not exploit any security holes in Apple's OS X operating system. It travels in a file called "latestpics.tgz" and only version 10.4 of OS X is vulnerable to it.

Installing and running the worm requires users to go through several stages and this, along with bugs in Leap-A's code, have led security firms to play down the threat it poses. "

I dono about all of that, I mean they are apple users....

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Actually if you stop and think about it, Apple should be flattered.

rogger said:
Cut the guys some slack, they're only just starting to try and target Apples. ;)
I have a feeling this will evolve into something more annoying.
Their market share must be finally large enough to be of some appeal to the slimers.

MB1
Apple user for art.
PC user for work.

·
Banned
311 Posts
Apple viruses will remain at or near zero

Apple has a very small percentage of the home PC market and virtually 0% of the corporate/goverment/business market. A malicious hacker wants their virus or trojan horse to affect as may PCs and servers as they can. Infecting a percentage of the small Apple PC market isn't worth the time invested in creating and deploying a malicious virus. Hackers would much rather develop a virus that can potentially affect a large percentage of home and business users ie Windows. Even if Apple security were wide open, it wouldn't be worth it for a hacker. This is a case where smaller market share is an advangate.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
LiteSpeeder said:
Apple has a very small percentage of the home PC market and virtually 0% of the corporate/goverment/business market. A malicious hacker wants their virus or trojan horse to affect as may PCs and servers as they can. Infecting a percentage of the small Apple PC market isn't worth the time invested in creating and deploying a malicious virus. Hackers would much rather develop a virus that can potentially affect a large percentage of home and business users ie Windows. Even if Apple security were wide open, it wouldn't be worth it for a hacker. This is a case where smaller market share is an advangate.
With the push towards x86 proccessors, and the bigger promise that there will be a way to get OSX on to wintel machines, and Vista on to Macs..... With the cross pollination that apple is edging towards, your argument may very well be moot in a few years.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
svend said:
Nope, not yet

/smug grin still firmly in place

Apple user since '85
I've used both and they both have advantages and disadvantages. Have you ever used a PC? There really isn't a whole lot of difference anymore. Most PC users have absolutely no problems using a Sun Workstation or a Apple PC, but for some reason Apple users freak out when forced to work on another platform.

/ do you still have to drag a CD to the trash to eject it? Never understood the logic there.

G

·
The fix for this so called Virus has already been released by Apple in OS 10.4.5 update.

The only reason this is happening is that the Intel processers are being used in Apple machine now and hackers are trying to figure out how to pirate OS X to release clean copies.

Unlike PC's no virus or worm can install itself on an Apple machine without the user entering an Admin password.

If anyone installs an admin password to install something they received by email or from someone they don't know - they get what they deserve.

Not really a worm or a virus at all.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
mickey-mac said:
I thought this was going to be a thread about those dried apple-head dolls. I'm bummed it appears to be about computers. Someone should start a thread about the apple-head dolls. I'm just sayin'.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
snapdragen said:
Mmmh, that was fast. Is there some dark, hitherto unmentioned side to you? ;)

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I've used both and they both have advantages and disadvantages. Have you ever used a PC? There really isn't a whole lot of difference anymore. Most PC users have absolutely no problems using a Sun Workstation or a Apple PC, but for some reason Apple users freak out when forced to work on another platform.

/ do you still have to drag a CD to the trash to eject it? Never understood the logic there.
only use my wifes PC when I have to.....21 years of never worrying about virus' is good enough for me, plus I like supporting the innovators and not the imitators whenever possible

CDeeze nutz.......just hit the eject button, no need to drag and drop

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Apple doesn't have the same

business practice as microsoft so they have a lot less enemies. Apple doesn't usually release an new version of something riddled with security holes and problems with the mindset of get it out now, we'll debugg later.

finally Apple users are usually cooler and who wants to f with the cool people?

using both as we speak. I function quite well on a big, dumb Mac (how I refer to my PC)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
atpjunkie said:
business practice as microsoft so they have a lot less enemies. Apple doesn't usually release an new version of something riddled with security holes and problems with the mindset of get it out now, we'll debugg later.

using both as we speak. I function quite well on a big, dumb Mac (how I refer to my PC)
When someone offers to buy me Adobe Creative Suite 2, MS Office Suite and Macromedia Studio 8 for the Mac I might consider getting one--right now all my software is in PC format.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
When someone offers to buy me Adobe Creative Suite 2, MS Office Suite and Macromedia Studio 8 for the Mac I might consider getting one--right now all my software is in PC format.
With intel now inside macs I can see someone trying to hack windows to run on them at some point in the future......kinda like virtual PC now without the virtual.....

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
atpjunkie said:

The illusion that Apple is a "good citizen" is just that, an illusion. Apple is no better than MS when it comes to evil corporate empire tendencies. The only difference is that Apple doesn't have the market share that MS does. I'd bet money that Apple, especially under Jobs, would FAR worse than MS if it had 95% of the OS and office suite market.

I've always found it odd how a company that so closely controls the hardware AND the software could put out a product with as many bugs as MacOS, particularly pre-X versions, has. At least MS has the excuse of coding for every imaginable combination of hardware and the myriad driver issues that goes with it. What's Apple's excuse?

At least they sub out the core for OS X now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts