Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The real reason why Operacion Puerto is not being investigated thoroughly is coming to light. Seems like Le Monde crossed the border from the low budget sports like cycling to the big one: soccer. Four teams are implicated, ~25 players per team = 100 players (about half of Fuente's clientele). It looks like we have a sport more dirty than cycling on our hands...

---------------------------------
From cyclingnews:
Real Madrid said on Thursday that French newspaper Le Monde was fined €300,000 for its story linking the football club to Eufemiano Fuentes, the doctor at the centre of the Operación Puerto doping investigation.

The newspaper printed the article by Stéphane Mandard in December 2006, and said then that it had several documents linking Fuentes Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, FC Valencia and Real Betis. They were reportedly handwritten documents by Fuentes which showed doping schedules for players, using substances such as steroids, IGF-1 (insulin growth factor), Erythropoietin (EPO) and also blood transfusions.

Fuentes refused to confirm the story, telling Le Monde he had received death threats. However, he had earlier stated that he had also worked with those from the world of football, basketball, athletics and tennis.

"My professional oath forbids me from revealing their names. There have been only selective leaks. I am indignant about that," he said, referring to the fact that only cyclists had been fingered while other sports appear to have been protected.

According to the Madrid court ruling, it said that Mandard did not have proof to corroborate his claims about Real Madrid. A Barcelona court said in January 2008 that Le Monde and Mandard must pay damages to the Catalan club.

In May 2007, FIFA president Sepp Blatter requested details of the Operación Puerto files. "It is of highest interest for the sport and for football," he said at the time, although since then little has been heard about his findings.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
I've exchanged some emails with pundits who do the most popular Soccer shows in the U.S.

They are completely in denial that drug use could be widespread in their sport. Given the money involved, which dwarfs cycling by orders of magnitude, and given the huge endurance component involved (more goals are scored in the latter part of matches than at any other point) I just can't imagine it's not.

My impression is the testing is pretty much a joke, worse than cycling was until a couple of years ago. Given human nature, it would be most unnatural if doping wasn't common.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As a soccer player (not pro or even close to it) this would be a perfect sport for drug use. The speed of the players these days is INTENSE in premier league soccer.

In a perfect world we'd stop treating athletes like racehorses, and we'd stop treating racehorses like that too. At one point in time, not even that long ago, humans would kill each other for sport. Now we've improved to just shortening lifespans with the occasional accidental death. I guess we're making progress.

·
Registered
183 Posts
wow. interesting. thanks for the update. i have long been wondering when the general public might hear a thing or two about soccer. ill have to show this to my roommate (he insists that soccer players are clean)... haha. hope the rich bast*ards pay for their cheating. thanks.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
ECXkid04 said:
wow. interesting. thanks for the update. i have long been wondering when the general public might hear a thing or two about soccer. ill have to show this to my roommate (he insists that soccer players are clean)... haha. hope the rich bast*ards pay for their cheating. thanks.
It just doesn't make sense given what is at stake with relegation in most leagues and the financial reward of the Champions league, etc. that teams would not be resorting to doping, especially in countries like Spain and Italy that up until recently had incredibly lax attitudes toward doping.

We know even under a fairly intense spotlight from WADA, doping was damn near universal in cycling. Imagine what most be going on in the absence of intense testing?

·
Banned
388 Posts
Juventus, in Italy, were taking EPO in the mid to late 90s. A number of very high profile players from other teams in Europe failed tests for Nandrolone. The testing is a joke, and the clubs in Spain which are mentioned have serious clout with the Spanish Monarchy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts