Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share this story from my ride today. I went on a 50 mile ride that I am familiar with. About 2/3 of the way through I passed a house with two loose dogs in the yard. One of them started running towards me. It looked like a large black lab. The owner of the dog was shouting for the dog to stop. The dog never made it to the street and stopped when he reached the end of the property line, so the dog never really got close to me. About 2-3 miles down the road a car some distance behind me beeps, I figured it was someone just alerting me. The car was actually the owner of the dog who caught up to me to apologize. Never had that happen before and thought it was kind of odd.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I think the 2nd biggest fear of mine is being attacked by a dog while biking (1st being hit by a car). What a great guy to apologize to you.

Reactions: Mr. Versatile

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Kind of sad that what should be common courtesy is considered odd.
+1. I would have expected the driver to be angry at me for riding my bike and making the dogs bark.

I think the 2nd biggest fear of mine is being attacked by a dog while biking (1st being hit by a car). What a great guy to apologize to you.
I once heard a barking/growling dog on a hill. Once the rush wore off and I escaped, my legs hurt really bad and it was a long ride home.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Thought I would share this story from my ride today. I went on a 50 mile ride that I am familiar with. About 2/3 of the way through I passed a house with two loose dogs in the yard. One of them started running towards me. It looked like a large black lab. The owner of the dog was shouting for the dog to stop. The dog never made it to the street and stopped when he reached the end of the property line, so the dog never really got close to me. About 2-3 miles down the road a car some distance behind me beeps, I figured it was someone just alerting me. The car was actually the owner of the dog who caught up to me to apologize. Never had that happen before and thought it was kind of odd.
That's odd but thankfully you run into someone kind enough to apologise..

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I'm glad the dog didn't get you! I hate when that happens!

And it is nice that the owner apologized because he really didn't have to.

But if his dog left his property he is totally liable for any damage done by the dog.
In many areas complaints from cyclists will earn a visit from the dog warden with a threat to have the animal removed unless controlled.

I've been chased by many dogs on country roads but luckily never bitten or crashed. Scares the hell out of me so I used to carry a small can of Mace. Never had to use it, thankfully.

A dog that does attack is usually put down. I'm an animal lover and would hate to lose my pet that way. On top of the judgement against me for any damages.

A friend was almost killed when he hit a big dog on his moto; he went over the bars at 55mph. The dog came from nowhere and ran right in front of his bike.

So we do have a little bit of power here, depending on the local ordinances. If you're chased, file a complaint, but in this particular incident no action is warranted.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Having up until recently lived in central Louisiana, I was very frequently chased by dogs. By that I mean more rides than not if of any distance. I can say that most are of little concern, but a few were very scary. I especially remember a dark ride where I could not see the dog only hear it, it sounded big, and was getting closer. Another was at the end of the ride, against a decent wind, and up hill. The dog seemed very determined and gained on me from straight behind for quite a while before the road curved and I was not straight into the wind anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Recently a friend following me on Strava pointed out that I had moved way up on the leaderboards. I never look at that stuff, but when I did, sure enough, that was the segment where I was chased by a huge black dog.

·
wots...uh the deal?
1,349 Posts
Gravel dogs are more concerning. It took me a while to learn that I can't just out run them like on paved roads. This year, I took the alternate route. If the dog is moving towards the road, I'll stop. Most just want to say Hi and have a sniff. But if they are going to attack, then I'm a bit better prepared.

Taking things this way, I've had a couple of the owners (of the friendlier dogs) apologized this spring. Nice people are out there. Don't let the loud mean ones ruin the day.

·
Life Coach
300 Posts
I was at a stop sign waiting for a car to pass as a German Shepard in an adjacent yard started coming at me. The driver of the car could sense my impending doom so she stopped her car and waved me through even though she had the right of way. There are a few nice people left in this world.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You have to be thankful that the owner came to you to apologize.. its not odd but you should hope that more owners are like that.

But always get yourself prepared for the worse. Always bring those bear sprays if you think the dogs in your area are not friendly.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,985 Posts
we can legally shoot them in MI if you have a ccw and being threatened in any sort of "loose" dog scenario.
Jesus... That is so far out of my wheelhouse I don't even know how to respond... except with a pic of this guy:

·
Re-Cyclist
1,568 Posts
Few people understand what dogs think, react to, or are about. The chasing dog may well likely be a nice friendly pooch if you were to simply walk up to him. Dogs react with barks representing confusion (often resulting in a jump or a protective nip) if they see people in odd configurations than they are used to. Cyclists fit that bill. So do delivery men and other construction and utility workers. Dogs are all about smell and connecting that with a visual. If they cannot smell you because you are riding by fast and they often continue their efforts to smell you by chasing. With the possible exception of pitbulls and similar, if you were to stop and remain friendly, they just might smell you and lick you and then want to play.

Still, that kind dog owner should leash or fence in his dog to prevent re-occurance.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.