Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not horrible, rt shifter boss rotates perhaps 1-2 degrees while left slightly less. i'm guessing the person I got it from was running brifters and didn't realize. i'm running downtube shifters and would like to fix this so they don't rotate. this will give me more precise shifting. any ideas? don't think super glue will solve it, or duct tape or shoe goo.

thanks

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
not horrible, rt shifter boss rotates perhaps 1-2 degrees while left slightly less. i'm guessing the person I got it from was running brifters and didn't realize. i'm running downtube shifters and would like to fix this so they don't rotate. this will give me more precise shifting. any ideas? don't think super glue will solve it, or duct tape or shoe goo.

thanks
Easy fix, once you know the secret - they're bolt-on. Take off the left shifter/cable stop / whatever hardware is on there. Underneath, there should be a (probably black) plastic washer/spacer thingy that also acts as the square part of the boss. Pop it off - a fingernail should do the trick. Underneath it, you'll see hex faces on the standoff. Get a wrench on it and tighten it up - the left side is essentially a nut on the right side's bolt.

At least that's how mine worked a few months back when I popped them off for a fixed-gear conversion. 1990 3.0 Road Race frame.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

you da man danl1!

I ended up using an exacto knife to pop the plastic piece off. Underneath is a 9mm nut. Mine was very loose about 3 turns. Loose nut no longer.

thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts