Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's my setup, new cinelli grammo ti (quill) stem with 26.0 bar clamp around aProfile 26.0 bar. my problem is that no matter how tight i get the clamp the bars still shift under load. i've even tried a masking tape spacer around the bar to slightly increase the diameter but to no avail.

is there an issue with cinelli stems or Ti stems in general that they are harder to properly tighten or do i just need to find a better spacer to keep the bars from rotating?

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Questionable

jhenry4 said:
here's my setup, new cinelli grammo ti (quill) stem with 26.0 bar clamp around aProfile 26.0 bar. my problem is that no matter how tight i get the clamp the bars still shift under load. i've even tried a masking tape spacer around the bar to slightly increase the diameter but to no avail.
If both are actually 26.0, it's questionable whether you could get that masking tape shim to fit. The suggestion that you may have a 26.4 stem should be checked out. Does the stem clamp actually bottom out when you tighten the bolt? If yes, then you have a size mis-match problem. Even without that, you may have a problem - precise measurement is the way to figure this out.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I had the same problem on my commuter bike. I took an aluminum soda can & used tinsnips to cut a spacer. Works great. Doesn't show.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
soda can worked

i also posted this question to my LBS and they suggested the soda can as well. i was bottoming out so the 26.4 suggestion was a good one. didn't have the calipers to measure though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.