Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Why is this a story, because the words "Pit Bull" are used? Every vicious dog is a pit bull. Dog chase bikes, irresponsible owners are at fault. There are dogs around here that chase, I have plenty of routes that I can choose from that are either friendly dog or dog free.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Feel free to post all of the Golden Retriever attacks.

(Mine broke my ankle. I am well aware that anything can happen, but the general trend isn't one of vicious, single-minded, to-the-death unprovoked maullings.)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, it could be worse in video.

I know its fake, its all over the place when you search the video. I'm with bigbill on this one. Theres other fenced in dogs on many of my routes that chase me along the fence line. I'm pretty sure every cyclist has been chased by a dog at some point. So I don't know why this guy had to write a book about being chased by a pitbull. If he were being chased by a Siberian Husky would he have mentioned the breed or just said "a dog chased me."

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
If he were being chased by a Siberian Husky
That actually happened to me last year but it was on the other side of the fence and they were guard dogs of someone's property. And no, I wouldn't have written about it regardless of what breed the dogs are.

Seems like there is an agenda that the author is try to pursuit. People using the media to pursuit agenda? Hmm..., I've heard about that.:idea:

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Why is this a story, because the words "Pit Bull" are used? Every vicious dog is a pit bull. Dog chase bikes, irresponsible owners are at fault. There are dogs around here that chase, I have plenty of routes that I can choose from that are either friendly dog or dog free.
Out on those farm to market roads in ETX, that's for sure. My commute from Tyler to Longview on those nice sunny days always encountered a family of dogs that were waiting for the chance. I always gave 'em my best sprint, timing it just before they noticed me approaching, so when they gave chase, I was already going 25+ mph and they'd never catch me. Fun!

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
Moderators Note

Let's try this again without the crazy. Re-posting the insults will go badly for those involved.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Don't have much problem with loose dogs where I ride. But I do remember having trouble with one particular dog about 20 years ago in an adjacent neighborhood. I usually just rode away, going down the hill in front of his house, but I remember once when riding the opposite direction, I couldn't outrun him, and he as nipping at my heel.

I got off the bike and put my bike between me and him. He was being very aggressive and didn't seem to want to calm down. Eventually I got tired of waiting him out, and I picked up the bike by the seatpost and handlebars, pointed the chainrings at him and charged, screaming at the top of my lungs. I chased him back up his driveway, and he relented. I went on my way.

Not long after that I was riding by there, and saw him laying dead in the ditch in front of his house (he had a habit of chasing cars too). I don't know for sure what happened to him, but I imagine he was hit by a car. I was kinda bummed about that.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Out on those farm to market roads in ETX, that's for sure. My commute from Tyler to Longview on those nice sunny days always encountered a family of dogs that were waiting for the chance. I always gave 'em my best sprint, timing it just before they noticed me approaching, so when they gave chase, I was already going 25+ mph and they'd never catch me. Fun!
I wish all the chasing dogs on the FM roads were pit bulls. All sprint, no endurance. Little short legs for their torsos, that's just a good sprint. The worst ones around here are some kind of retriever mix and a collie. There's a retriever and a husky duo on one of my routes but they haven't come out to the road for the past few years. I think the retriever is getting old, the husky runs circles around it like it's trying to get it to join in the chase. The husky runs halfway down the driveway and barks, we all know the drill by now.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
In the USA, "only" about 25-30 people a year are killed by dog attacks. Mostly the victims are children, but not all... About 80% are kids. "Only" applies only if you aren't a loved one or the actual victim. There are over 4.5 million dog related injuries, 800,000 injuries requiring medical care and 368,000 injuries that require emergency medical care. ~45% of the fatal attacks are Pittbull or Pittbull type of dogs. (17% Rot and the rest unidentified or other) It is such a problem, the CDC says, "fatalities caused by dogs is a breed specific problem." I know 3 people that have been mauled by dogs. One was a Pitt, one was an Airdaile Terrier and one was a Doberman Pinscher. All 3 attacks were life threatening and required many surgeries and left terrible and permanent cosmetic damage. 2 of the victims were nearly killed. (Donerman did the least damage but was a child, other 2 were adults).

That's my my experience and US Centers for Disease Control data.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
good post PBL

Have been chased a thousand times. sometimes it was fun, even. luckily in this region there dogs chasing is a very rare thing and the people here train their dogs well. But back in the midwest framing country, ignorance rules it seems. My wife was attacked once by a shepherd while climbing a steep hill. when she stopped the darn thing bit her. Another rider in the club was knocked off by a rural dog and it put him out of a job for weeks due to broken leg. When I was about 7 riding on the back of my dad's bike, a rural dog pushed my foot into the spokes and gave me a scar for life - and a general dislike of all dogs forevermore.

oh we were once attacked while hiking. Made good use of the bear spray that time, which worked perfectly on the pos mutt.

I think the OP's post is right on the mark. If I lived there I would be heading over for a ride with bear spray and perhaps a pistol in my jersey pocket to do the world a favour, if this pit bull chased me and got nasty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts