Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Newbie question here. Every time I ride I seem to always end up with loose spokes. I tighten them as best I can and still keeping wheel fairly true but is this normal or is there something I am not doing. I use my spoke wrench and then what do you know. the next ride i end up with another loose one.

Help

thanx in advance

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Not normal

If your wheels were properly assembled, and the rims were not bent, then, this would not happen.

Do you have factory or handbuilt wheels?

If factory-built, having a good builder de-tension and re-tension the whole set, evenly, would cure this problem, after they checked the rim's overall condition.

If handbuilt, take 'em to the builder.

Spoke prep on the nipples will also help, if none is present.

rf37 said:
Hi all. Newbie question here. Every time I ride I seem to always end up with loose spokes. I tighten them as best I can and still keeping wheel fairly true but is this normal or is there something I am not doing. I use my spoke wrench and then what do you know. the next ride i end up with another loose one.

Help

thanx in advance

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
rf37 said:
As Argentius said, this is not normal. Read the Wheelbuilding info in my sig. You will then know what it takes for a wheel to be properly built - sufficient and even tensions and stresses relieved. Wheels with those qualities almost never need touching.

It's quite possible that you have machine built wheels which are notorious for being under-tensioned.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
rf37 said:

Help

thanx in advance
Spokes only go slack when they have insufficient tension.

You want a shop to check with a tension meter. It could be a bad build with low and/or non-uniform tension which can be corrected (the wheel should be stress-relieved at the same time). It could be a bend which means the wheel can't both be true and have sufficient tension at the bend.

It was ten years before I had to touch my current front wheel because I put a bend in it (I probably hit a pothole or curb with too little tire pressure).

Or you could decide that you don't want to be at a shop's mercy (even good ones sometimes hire bad mechanics) and set yourself up for wheel building+maintenance with truing stand and dish stick. For box section rims you can get by with the Jobst Brandt method of tensioning until you exceed the elsatic limit; for deeper rims and to save time you can get an affordable Park tension meter ($50).

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Argentius said:
Spoke prep on the nipples will also help, if none is present.
An unbent rim with sufficient tension doesn't need anything to keep the nipples from turning. Sticky substances like boiled linseed oil and spoke prep are crutches for bad wheel builders (with $50 tension meters laziness is the only explanation and it's a bad one) which you don't want because the low tension results in weaker wheels that are more likely to collapse when you're a bit rough going over an obstacle.

Oil for brass nipples or anti-seize for alloy are all that's needed and will limit wind-up if the wheel ever needs adjustment due to a small bend.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deffinatly factory built. These are not the greatest rims. (Weinmann Flyer). Looks like a trip to the LBS to watch and learn. Or maybe treat myself to new wheels. Thanks all for input. It is a huge help

rf37

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.