Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I needed to buy a new horn for my car cause my regular car horn is now a bike horn (also very satisfying). So I got ona them trumpety mini truck horn deals... It's loud. Not as loud as a legit. tuck horn but... it hurt my ears when I tested it. So I drove around for a while... waiting to be cut off or otherwise have a decent reason to honk... took forever. Finally, I was in a fred meyer parking lot and somebody was running one of those bs parking lot stop signs right in front of me... It's nice to have a horn that actually gets people to stop wtf they're doing instead of just flipping you off and doing it faster. I'd like for the tone to be a bit lower but... this is pretty good for now (and for $30). Anybody else have/like/know about these?? Or bigger ones... I really want one of the train ones but.. that'd probably destroy my car.

Meep Meep

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... I've even seen some youtube vids of people w/ freakin ship horns... That stuff gets expensive though... and hard/impossible to hide well especially on a small car... plus the power you'd need to run that stuff is probably more than my whole car puts out in the first place.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
MWPDX said:
Yeah... I've even seen some youtube vids of people w/ freakin ship horns... That stuff gets expensive though... and hard/impossible to hide well especially on a small car... plus the power you'd need to run that stuff is probably more than my whole car puts out in the first place.
pump the air out of the tires................

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I used to drive a Class 8 tow truck. (air brakes) It had train horns. They are loud but take a huge amount of air. A home garage air compressor can only give one good blast before needing to recharge.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts

I had some a-holes in a huge lifted truck come by with an incredibly loud horn once while commuting home. I kept my line, thankfully, but I nearly pood myself. Someone who wasn't as used to riding in traffic as a regular commuter could be in some real serious trouble if they did that to them. I wanted to hunt them down and gut them.

joe

·
yup
2,726 Posts
A from Il said:
I used to drive a Class 8 tow truck. (air brakes) It had train horns. They are loud but take a huge amount of air. A home garage air compressor can only give one good blast before needing to recharge.
I have that problem

·
Registered
348 Posts
Small Caliber Reply is Justified

Some imbecile in a Hummer cut loose at another driver near me with the train horn. I had my windows down, and it really hurt my left ear.

I wanted to put a few .45 caliber rounds in her ass!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tferris said:
We all want to see a pic of the bike with the horn. It sounds awesome. Hilarious pun fully intended.
Sigh...fine... It's a lot like LP's though. 'cept built and attatched to the bike w/ much less skill/class/etc.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
catzilla said:
Or, you could get the same results with a this:
I'm thinkin' that if you need the blue gasket, you don't need the pump.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
I picked up some 136dB horns for the motorcycle. I tried them once hooked directly to the battery - the neighbors assured me they work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts