Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A rider who I know, this guy rides 100 miles in a heart beat, though this year he's only ridden 5 rides over 50 miles, a very fast rider, thin but very healthy looking, doesn't look he needs to lose any weight, told me about a small adjustment he's made in his life to lose weight.

He's been trying to lose weight for a year and has plateaued. He now rides 20-30 miles in the morning before breakfast, before any food, and he says he does it at a reasonable clip, he's not pushing it, just out enjoying himself. He said in the past 3 weeks he's lost 8 lbs. He says while sleeping your body is in the fat burning zone and you want to continue that. By riding without eating, you are still in the fat burning zone.

Now I don't know why it works, but he's lost 8 lbs. I'm thinking of giving it a shot. Any comments?

· Registered
638 Posts
yea I had heard the same thing and have had some good results trying it for myself. I have been known to sometimes take it a little too far and wind up at 50-100 miles without eating yet for the day. Although in an odd way it seems that my body has adjusted to it.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
B15serv said:
yea I had heard the same thing and have had some good results trying it for myself. I have been known to sometimes take it a little too far and wind up at 50-100 miles without eating yet for the day. Although in an odd way it seems that my body has adjusted to it.
Yeah - I think I'm there too.. I've even cut down to 1 sandwich for breakfast instead of 2.

I guess all the beer b4 bed doesn't help!! :(

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Simple thermo

lawrence said:
A rider who I know, this guy rides 100 miles in a heart beat, though this year he's only ridden 5 rides over 50 miles, a very fast rider, thin but very healthy looking, doesn't look he needs to lose any weight, told me about a small adjustment he's made in his life to lose weight.

He's been trying to lose weight for a year and has plateaued. He now rides 20-30 miles in the morning before breakfast, before any food, and he says he does it at a reasonable clip, he's not pushing it, just out enjoying himself. He said in the past 3 weeks he's lost 8 lbs. He says while sleeping your body is in the fat burning zone and you want to continue that. By riding without eating, you are still in the fat burning zone.

Now I don't know why it works, but he's lost 8 lbs. I'm thinking of giving it a shot. Any comments?
If he lost 8 lbs of fat in 21 days, then he is running a daily calorie deficit of around 1300. OTOH, this time of year it is pretty easy to swing 4 lbs of water weight based on exercise levels, weather conditions, total body weight, and degree of hydration. Any weight loss beyond water loss is due to calorie deficit, and if riding in the morning helps to curb hunger, then it works. The whole "burns more fat" argument is bogus, because your body will seek to replace the lost fat as soon as it can get the calories to do so. If you never take in the calories, then you lose weight. Otherwise, time of day (before or after breakfast) is not a magic bullet.

· Cpark
2,106 Posts
I follow exact same ride schedule whenever I need to lose some excessive weight but I keep track of the ride time (about 2 hrs) rather than the distance.
2 things happens whenever I do this.
First, I do lose weight quickly though not as fast as your friend.
I'd lose about 10 pounds but it wil take good 3 months.
Second, I definitely lose upper body muscle mass especially in the arms.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Body-For-Life book recommeneds you exercise in the morning, before breakfast.

I thought his reasoning was that it forces your body to use what's stored in the body for energy, instead of "extracting simple sugars" from something you just ate. Don't quote me on that though, it's been several years since I read the book.

Along these same lines though ... I've found that I ride better in the morning than in the afternoon. Even if I have no breakfast, or barely any breakfast. Not sure why that is. Could be anything from being fresh to not being "weighed down" by lunch. My lunches still leave a bit to be desired.

· Registered
24 Posts
I was told that you should keep those morning "empty stomach rides" to no more than an hour. I guess without an outside fuel souce you body starts looking at muscle like a fat chick looks at Ben & Jerry's. I don't know, that is what I was told about morning rides......

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Along these same lines though ... I've found that I ride better in the morning than in the afternoon. Even if I have no breakfast, or barely any breakfast. Not sure why that is. Could be anything from being fresh to not being "weighed down" by lunch. My lunches still leave a bit to be desired.
You have pretty much a full store of muscle glycogen when you wake up in the morning. No reason for breakfast if you are riding for an hour or less, or if you bring calories with you on the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.