Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so I've been really sick for the past four days and consequently have had to take three days off of training so far. I have had a fever, killer sore throat, general congestion, and yesterday I tried to ride inside really easy, but I lasted twenty minutes because my throat began to hurt more (even though it was crazy low intensity). I know this isn't just a head cold that you ride through.

So today will be the fourth day and I'm just curious: about how much fitness do you lose after four days off?
I'm focusing on getting better, but I would like to have an idea of what the damage will be and how long it will be till I am back to normal.

I have been consistently putting in between 16 and 20 hours on the bike every week since last october. So maybe me getting sick is a result of being a little overtrained, in which case after the time off I might end up feeling stronger?

Thanks!

·
I live near Igloo's
124 Posts
If you have been training that much, you will probably be the same or a bit faster after you recover. remember to keep it easy the first couple of times back on the bike. You don't want to relapse.

·
Registered
56 Posts
you will lose 10-15% in heart rate fitness(which is nothing)for the first four days if you have been training for a while.
it comes back fast. complete rest and healing is more important. if you train while your sick the body is not properly being stressed, it is being damaged.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Get some much needed rest, don't worry about your fitness, it will come back quickly once you are better. We all get sick now and then, sometimes it is a blessing in disgiuse. It's kind of like crappy winter weather- I often am unable to ride for several days in a row in the winter, due to poor weather, and sure, the first day or 2, I feel really out of shape, but after just a couple days back on the bike, all is well.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
Your crazy --- now go and sleep.

Last time I was sick I was out for about a week and a half, I didn't ride or train for that entire time. Even when I did get back on the bike I had to take it very slow and cough the entire way. Just ease your way back to the workout level you were at before you got sick and you'll be fine.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
get some rest and get better. you can pretty much do nothing for a week with losing much fitness if you have been training already. take it easy the first few days back and you'll probably be back to normal within a week.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just got over a similar sickness. I went way too hard my first couple days back and my recovery is very slow. Take it really easy and avoid doing sprints/strength stuff. I don't think your fitness will be down much, but it might feel like it because your body is exhausted from fighting off the bug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts