Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello oh Oracle of biking wisdom.

I started getting fairly serious about cycling etc last December. At the time, I weighed around 200lbs with body fat over 28%. Ouch.

4-5 months and some 800 miles (give or take) later, my body fat is around 18%, and my weight is around 188-190lb. The thing is, my body fat is still dropping slowly but steadily, but my weight has basically leveled off at this level for over six weeks. I feel (and, if I say so myself) look to be in pretty decent shape, but I'd still love to shed a few more pounds to make those hills even easier. The obvious answer is 'eat less/exercise more' - but I'm already doing that. Anyone have more specific advice as to what I should looking at? (i.e, focus more on 'eating less' than 'exercising more', or vice versa, or maybe different training routines).

Thanks in advance,

-S

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,497 Posts
Focus on what you eat. Sweet potatoes instead of potatoes, brown rice instead of white, whole wheat pasta. Protion control on meats, and try to keep them lean. Add fish.

increase the long chain carbs and reduce the refine sugars adn processed foods.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Riding more will make you faster. Eating less only makes you thinner. Riding is also a lot more fun than dieting.

If you have the time, doing long rides on your days off work will both build your endurance and burn calories. With 800 miles since December you should still be building your base. Don't worry about doing "workouts" or "training", just ride.

Even at a moderate endurance pace, at 200 lbs you'll be burning 5-600 Calories/hour.

On longer rides (2 hours or longer for me, it's different for different people and probably less for new riders) you'll need to bring food. Don't make the mistake of trying to ride on little or no food. Once you are bonked, you are wasting your time on the bike. Plus bonking hard is pretty unpleasant. You don't need to eat enough to replace all the Calories you burn, just the glycogen part. About 200 Calories/hr works for me. Experiment and see what works for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.