Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have the fastest time on a certain hill, but I was recently edited to #18, despite the fastest time being listed as me. Would you see what was up with Garmin? I'm not sure if someone complained or something. As much as I'd like to crush my best time, the fall-winter wind is substantially stronger head wind.

I know, first world problem. I just don't get why I got bumped despite having the fastest time. It's not like I used a motor, an Astana tug, drafting, etc.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
If the activity where you "won" the segment got flagged by somebody, you should have been notified and I believe you can talk to Strava to undo it if the flagging is not justified.

If you somehow marked the activity as private, then the time where you "won" won't show up anymore publicly.

If none of that happened, then it's probably a glitch. Contact Strava support, they are pretty responsive.

Edit: Sorry, missed that you were talking about Garmin segments and not Strava.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was through Garmin. It showed up as a segment on my route when I updated to the Modern feature. I saw that it was edited about a week ago, which was when my #1 status dropped. I don't doubt I can knock it out next year, I just don't like seeing that I'm not the fastest up that climb all winter.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Are you talking about Garmin Connect?

Who even uses that?

If it has segments, nobody cares about them.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you talking about Garmin Connect?

Who even uses that?

If it has segments, nobody cares about them.
I had no idea, either, but I don't want to see that I'm not number 1 all winter. I was having a really good day when I set the best time. Sure, I plan on seeing if I can destroy it next year.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I love getting top 10 cups in Strava...that is until I realize there are only 10 people on said segment.

Is that not how Garmin Connect segments usually display?

·
Registered
20,789 Posts
Garmin Connect segments? They still exist?
I'm pretty sure you may be the only one using them. No one else would even know you're not number 1. Might as well write your name on the fridge that you're number 1. More people might see it.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really not much into technology when it comes to riding. I don't plan on Zwifting until my old workout DVDs are toast. I ended up smashing my previous best attempt and getting a new best time, which put me back into the #1 spot. Was unsure how I was #18 with the previous fastest time.

My "segment" has decent traffic. Some guys seem to go around it if they don't want to climb.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You just never know what's up. Recently I rode a 30 mile mountain loop and my Garmin said I had an average speed of 19mph. Not true however and if it were I would be KOM. So on one hand it is incorrectly saying I am the fastest man alive but not KOM. My actual segment best time is 16.2 mph average speed which is true and puts me well down the list. Anyway it was a device glitch and not a Strava program glitch I think but not sure. I do not ever stop on the bike actually except for a flat or something. So it's not an auto pause thing.

Anyway if it did give me a KOM for a glitch I would have deleted the ride and just did a manual entry so that my yearly mileage total is ok. I cannot give up 30 miles at this point if I am to make my 4K goal this year. I have 480miles left to make it and it should be fine but rain, cold season and all can kill it easy.

Glad you took back your KOM. Congratulations.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know if Garmin ever fixed the glitch with my previous best time. I hit the climb thinking it would likely be my last attempt without a 20mph headwind out of the north, which is usually in full force this time of year, especially when all the fields get plowed under. My new time seemed to fix the glitch, which is good because I probably would have obsessed "a little" over the winter.

I don't use the auto pause function. I didn't want to have to turn it on and off when I was switching from outdoor to indoor workouts all the time. I occasionally lose a few miles if I forget to unpause after a stop sign.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I don't know if Garmin ever fixed the glitch with my previous best time. I hit the climb thinking it would likely be my last attempt without a 20mph headwind out of the north, which is usually in full force this time of year, especially when all the fields get plowed under. My new time seemed to fix the glitch, which is good because I probably would have obsessed "a little" over the winter.

I don't use the auto pause function. I didn't want to have to turn it on and off when I was switching from outdoor to indoor workouts all the time. I occasionally lose a few miles if I forget to unpause after a stop sign.
Once I turn the Garmin on I just forget about it and would not remember to turn it off or back on. So auto pause is fine for me. I do ride the rollers at home in the winter but I do not use any gadgets associated with it. I just get on it and ride for a set amount of time and then get off. I know joggers have a Garmin pod they put on their shoes for recording their tread mill runs. I suppose it would work on the rollers also but I do not want to bother with it.

I use my android app when hiking and auto pause has to be off. I just start Strava when I start hiking and then turn if off when I am done. If we sit around and eat lunch the program just keeps ticking. All I want from it is miles walked and do not care about anything else. Mostly I hike at Pinnacles National Park as it's close to home and I have a lifetime National Park pass so it's all good. I should see if they have any Volunteer jobs available. Anything but cleaning toilets would be fine. That way I would be giving back to the Park sort of and I have time and would enjoy being there more often.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a bit of a data *****, especially since I'm only connecting my 500 to the computer once or twice per week. I used to write stuff down back in the day and this was well before power meters and all that good stuff.

I don't check past workouts that routinely unless I was having a spectacular day. I figured out my perfect race taper about 2 years ago and haven't needed to look nearly as often. I'm taking more vacation time and using that to train. I'll see how things shake out when it's time to race again in ~4 months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts