Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added a
Easton EC90 SLX Fork (295 grams uncut)

Easton EC90 Ergo Handlebars (185 grams)

Forte Theta Carbon Cages (25 grams each)

Selle San Marco Aspide FX (130 grams)

This is my LS Solano which is a sleeper of a bike and long forgotten because it was made for only 2 years. Great bike, much better riding than the Vortex I traded in for this one.

Total weight is 16.5 lbs which is pretty good for a 57cm. Only 1/2 pound heavier than my Mongoose Bosberg Carbon which is light.

Only awaiting a carbon fiber seatpost that is backordered.

· Registered
995 Posts
Nice bike. I've got an EC90sl fork on my ti Clark Kent and those forks are sooooo smooth. You should have switched the bar and fork seperately so you could tell what attributes come from which component. After a few spins, let us know what your thoughts are on the changes.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
The Solano is a great bike that came and went so fast. In actuality though, it is a 2000 Tuscany that was renamed in 2004 and 2005 once LS went with the more shaped tubing on the newer Tuscany. I wanted a traditional headset at the time. I am very happy with the weight now.

jolnar said:
Good looking bike. I always liked Solano's.

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
Lazyrider said:
Total weight is 16.5 lbs which is pretty good for a 57cm. Only 1/2 pound heavier than my Mongoose Bosberg Carbon which is light.

Odd that a high end, D-Ace, Ti bike would be 1/2 pound heavier than a No Name Asian, low end SRAM bike.

Makes you wonder if the goose will be able to stand the test of time. I'd give it a thorough check before every ride.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Liflover, I think you fell one too many times on your head. Wear a helmet for goodness sake. Then again, it may be too late, don't bother.
Lifelover said:
Odd that a high end, D-Ace, Ti bike would be 1/2 pound heavier than a No Name Asian, low end SRAM bike.

Makes you wonder if the goose will be able to stand the test of time. I'd give it a thorough check before every ride.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
How much would it cost to loose two pounds off your body?

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Lifelover said:

How, you have no idea do you? SRAM Force is about on par with DA in weight.

That "No Name"CF frame is made by one of the largest bike builders for carbon fiber inall of Taiwan. They also make many of the "Ïtalian" CF frames you see as well. Kenises CF from Taiwan is on par with Specialized/Merida CF frames from Taiwan and very close to Giant.

You are aware that is like 2-3 companies in Taiwan that makes 90% of the CF frames form that area? Giant owns their own factory and Cervelo and SCOTT come from a no name factory in Mainlan China.

Kenises, Topkey and another or so are the top comapnies in CF right now.

TI frame from tend be heavier than CF frames

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, we all know that in cycling, weight off the bike itself is the "Holy Grail". But to be honest, I did go from a ridiculous 255lb to 182lb in 6 months riding.

It is all in the head is what I tell people of how I did it. I have the discipline of a monk. The bike is only a tool but I feel a difference between a 16lb bike going up hills versus a 20+ lb bike. It is a luxury and I am fortunate that I can splurge.
But the way I rationalize it, I still see people spending $3000 on Marlboros a year or $4k on scratch offs or more at Atlantic City.

MR_GRUMPY said:
How much would it cost to loose two pounds off your body?

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dirt, Sram Force is a sleeper of a groupo. I would easily put that on my next bike. My Mongoose which is made by Kinesis as you know is an incredible value. Sram Rival has been dead on and is light as well for the money. Cannot be beat. Kinesis is still one of the best frame manufacturers out there that few know about. Here is the Goose.

DIRT BOY said:
How, you have no idea do you? SRAM Force is about on par with DA in weight.

That "No Name"CF frame is made by one of the largest bike builders for carbon fiber inall of Taiwan. They also make many of the "Ïtalian" CF frames you see as well. Kenises CF from Taiwan is on par with Specialized/Merida CF frames from Taiwan and very close to Giant.

You are aware that is like 2-3 companies in Taiwan that makes 90% of the CF frames form that area? Giant owns their own factory and Cervelo and SCOTT come from a no name factory in Mainlan China.

Kenises, Topkey and another or so are the top comapnies in CF right now.

TI frame from tend be heavier than CF frames

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Lazyrider said:
Well, we all know that in cycling, weight off the bike itself is the "Holy Grail". But to be honest, I did go from a ridiculous 255lb to 182lb in 6 months riding.
Not sure that was the point. And yes, at some point you'll reach a point of diminished returns on weight loss, but the rider is the heaviest part of the equation in the event we call cycling. You can see significantly more improvements in performance and efficiency by shedding pounds off the item that most often has the most to give, the rider. Not that a sub-16 lb bike isn't a nice treat, but I'm not sure I'd say reduced bike weight is the "Holy Grail".

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was speaking figuratively in that we all know what extent some true weightweenies go to to lighten bikes down to ridiculous numbers. So are you telling me that each year I read bicycle magazines and buyer's guides over the past 25 years, companies haven't been focused on reducing weight? It is the most obvious thing I see from year to year. Sram Red, wheelsets, proliferatioin of carbon, those that change out bolts etc. That is not the "Holy Grail"?

I agree weight off of rider is more important, but a 16 lb bike is sublime.

krisdrum said:
Not sure that was the point. And yes, at some point you'll reach a point of diminished returns on weight loss, but the rider is the heaviest part of the equation in the event we call cycling. You can see significantly more improvements in performance and efficiency by shedding pounds off the item that most often has the most to give, the rider. Not that a sub-16 lb bike isn't a nice treat, but I'm not sure I'd say reduced bike weight is the "Holy Grail".

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Lazyrider said:
Dirt, Sram Force is a sleeper of a groupo.
Almost there with FORCE. 2009 will be a beter year I hope. RD and FD issues breaking/exploding and the brake reacall.

But overall it's a great groph for the money, IF you like the DT shifting system. I don't. I hated it.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
krisdrum said:
Hey, give the guy a break- he lost 73 freaking pounds- that's like half a pro cyclist! He's definitely earned knocking a few pounds off his bike.

And if you read "bicycling", shedding weight off a bike IS definitely the holy grail and lighter is better. And how often has Shimano led out with "Dura ace- now with increased weight for 08!" Lazy knows it's mostly BS, but heck, let the guy reward himself for dropping a few dozen pounds.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL, here we go with the floor again. It is Red Oak you Bozo. :thumbsup:

Funny thing is, I did put laminate in my kitchen which is something I said I wouldn't in a 110 year old home (easy install). But for now I did, so there but that floor is actually hardwood. Bob Villa you are not.
azoomm said:
Hey... there's the floor(ing)! ;)

· Registered
3,477 Posts
buck-50 said:
Hey, give the guy a break- he lost 73 freaking pounds- that's like half a pro cyclist! He's definitely earned knocking a few pounds off his bike.

And if you read "bicycling", shedding weight off a bike IS definitely the holy grail and lighter is better. And how often has Shimano led out with "Dura ace- now with increased weight for 08!" Lazy knows it's mostly BS, but heck, let the guy reward himself for dropping a few dozen pounds.
Easy does it here folks. Wasn't coming down on Lazy or anyone else. He is obviously doing a great job of lightening his machine, both metal and carbon and muscle and bone. More power to him.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exactly buck,
Since when isn't weight reduction the goal in this sport? I am not even obsessive about it and I got 2 reasonably light bikes without spending what some guys do on Pinarellos, Orbeas.
Striclty Cycles in Fort Lee (great shop) had a smaller Orca with Sram Red and Zipp wheels. $7k for a 13.9lb bike (no pedals or cages mind you. My Goose is 15.9 lbs (with pedals and cages) for $4k less. I realize there is a point of dimishing returns but in the grand scheme of things, I am a bargain shopper compared to what a lot of guys drop on bikes.
Lighter is better in the hills for sure, but to be honest, anything in the 17 lb range is a "no excuse" bike IMO.

buck-50 said:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.