Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new P&S to take photos of the children for easter and egg hunt.
Finally found a few minutes to download them this weekend and the camera was empty.

What happened. Bad memory card?
Can I get them back?

Wife is bummed.

Camera is a Canon. Not sure about the card, but I bought it at BB.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Can you view any pictures on the camera?

Try this. Take a picture right now with the camera, then verify that you can recall and view the picture you just took, on the camera. Then pop out the memory card and stick it in your computer. That should give you an idea of what issues you may have.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Camera is at home. But will take a look tonight.

But yes, we could view the pics. Actually viewed them days later.
But they are gone / cannot view them anymore.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
THis thread is useless without pictures.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
pigpen said:
Actually viewed them days later.
But they are gone / cannot view them anymore.

Then someone erased them.

I've had multiple cases of bad SD cards and in every case, they would work up to a specific point on the card and then I'd get errors. The way the error usually showed up (I have a Canon too) is that I would see a filename on the camera LCD but there would be no picture, only an icon.

Memory in general works that way. A faulty chip will have bad cells, and you can continue to write to the chip until you try to access the bad cell. Then no more. In my case it was usually 75-100 pictures which made returning it a PITA since I often have a card in the camera for a while before I hit that many shots.

Barring some sort of catastrophic static event, there shouldn't be a way in which stored photos "just disappear" if you were able to see them in the first place. An empty card almost certainly means someone accidentally erased them while running through the menus.

Mohair is on the right track - go take another couple of photos and see if you can display them on the camera and upload them. If you can, your card is fine.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
WAIT....there are some REAL good undelete progams out there...I have used one for EXACTLY this purpose...DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THE CARD UNTIL YOU CHECK

d/l and try it IMMEDIATELY.

·
yup
2,726 Posts
What T0G said. I have used a couple free ones.... I can't seem to recall what programs they were, give me a sec.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
WAIT....there are some REAL good undelete progams out there...I have used one for EXACTLY this purpose...DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THE CARD UNTIL YOU CHECK

d/l and try it IMMEDIATELY.
+1

Usually the card manufacturer also has software for repairing corrupt cards.

·
yup
2,726 Posts
I remember one of them, an open source thing called photorec:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

A couple other basic recovery tools I have used with success are Ontrack and activeundelete, but they are not free. I know there are others out there, but it's been awhile since I have looked around.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
What T0G said, again. Using a Lexar card and their software, I was able to correct the one stupid thing I've ever done. Don't shoot on that card until you've tried to rescue the images.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
kykr13 said:
I was able to correct the one stupid thing I've ever done.
yeah....uh huh.............

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
I can say all the stupid things I want here....cause I am imaginary

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
What size card do you have. Is it one of the new kind, I think they are 4 gig or more. Older computers can not read them if you are using a card reader. If this is the case, hook the camera to the computer with the usb cord.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts